Unfired no more

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 17:26 (4052 days ago)

I inquired recently about firing an unfired Fed Ord 1911

Loaded up some mixed brass with a dose of AA#5 (mid range load) and 195 grain Lees from a long ago mold (1980s).

Used an old mag of know function is case there were issues with loading/firing/ejecting.

No issues with the first 15 so I walked back to the house to step the load up a bit and see what happened. &.7 and 8.5 of AA#5 with 1.240" OAL.

Nother 6 and all functions were perfect. Higher powered load and I found NONE of he brass. I have to get someone to watch what happens with ejected brass, it is slightly to my right and behind me on both of them.

One impact in my berm was in soft wet clay section and at 50, I got a nice 3-4 inch opening and about 7" of penetration. In drier firmer clay I got from 10 - 13" of penetration.

Time to actually start working on a load for accuracy, not function check!

Unfired no more but Mr Browning should of had better front sight in his otherwise perfect design.

Heck I am even getting to where I love the way 1911 fits in my hand.

I have never understood great pistol designs with

by stonewalrus, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 17:56 (4052 days ago) @ RidinLou

Lousy sights

I have never understood great pistol designs with

by SIXGUNNER, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 18:51 (4052 days ago) @ stonewalrus

SHOOTERS MUST HAVE HAD BETTER EYES

Rear sight is OK, But

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 19:55 (4052 days ago) @ RidinLou

that pitiful front sight.

Would hate it in real combat, would have to point shoot.

A least with this slide I have no issue with whacking a dovetail across it.

See, it's already started....

by Catoosa, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 20:43 (4052 days ago) @ RidinLou

I told ya those things were addicting. Load up a whole bunch of cast bullets and teach yourself to pointshoot - then you'll really be hooked.

Unfired no more

by Catoosa, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 20:45 (4052 days ago) @ RidinLou

A cheap metal detector will help find most of that brass.

they were "perfect" for 50 years...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, August 26, 2013, 09:53 (4051 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Just enough to use but rugged and snag free enough to stand up to the rigors of combat.
many of us mananged to qualify expert with those "Lousy sights";-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

And just how old were your eyes......

by Otony, Monday, August 26, 2013, 17:36 (4051 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

........when you qualified, whippersnapper?

:-D

Otony

18 to 21, just like the majority of GIs that JMB anticipated

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, August 26, 2013, 21:07 (4051 days ago) @ Otony

using these unparalleled weapons.:-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

1911 ergonomics...

by rob @, Monday, August 26, 2013, 22:38 (4051 days ago) @ RidinLou

I love how they fit mine but my new Series 80 feels different than what I'm used to with the spur hammer and standard grip safety. I was going to change it but I think I'm gonna stone the sharp edges off both the hammer and grip safety and see if I can learn to shoot it really well as is. I like the look of spur hammers...we'll see how it goes I guess.

Stone vs. File

by FOG, Monday, August 26, 2013, 23:26 (4051 days ago) @ rob

I have bobbed and dehorned one Series 70 hammer, and I've dehorned several revolver triggers (mostly S&W, plus one Charter Bulldog), and I think you would find stoning a very slow process.

In the past, I have used Swiss-pattern files, but I wore those out, so most recently I tried diamond-type needle files. IMO, those are only a so-so replacement for the real thing.

If you don't have a full set, a half-round file, plus a full-round file should be enough to get the job done.

Here is the 'bob- & dehorn-job' I did on my Behlert Series 70 hammer using only hand tools.

[image]

The original shop work included narrowing the sides of the hammer to prevent it 'dragging' on the slide, but they left the edges pretty sharp, and there was a minor machining flaw near the end of the spur on one side. My meager efforts, while somewhat crude, rectified both matters. :-D

You might also find emery cloth useful in 220- and 320-grit for cutting, and 400- and 600-grit for finishing.

Lastly, you can use good old 'Scotchbrite' to restore the finish on the sides of your hammer (I mainly use Norton-brand, in both green/coarse and gray/fine, with the latter being just about right).

HTH :-)

--
[image]

Nice!

by rob @, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 07:26 (4050 days ago) @ FOG

On the GS I could probably get by with a stone just to break the sharp edges and the hammer has sharp edges too. I didn't want to start by shortening the hammer much because I didn't think it wold look very nice, hence the stones to try and knock off the sharp edges. But, I really like the looks of that hammer/grip safety combo and I think I'm gonna do the same thing to mine. I'm going to copy that image and go to work:) I do have a large assortment of files...and hammers:)

See, it's already started....

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 21:39 (4050 days ago) @ Catoosa
edited by RidinLou, Tuesday, August 27, 2013, 21:44

I have about 25 lbs cast and lubed, but I use my airsoft to practice point shooting. The 1911 seems to be a good platform to do that easily and "accurately out to 10-15 if the airsoft is any indicator.

I'm wanting to get a good accurate load so I can shoot 50 now and 90s when the trees lose their leaves.

I have a HIGH dollar detector so if I will fill it with juice I can start fining the missing brass. 7.7 AA #5 made a fairly small little pile that I found most of them in, 8.6 and I have found one!

I have to admit . . . Sadly though

It seems to point shoot better than any of my wheel guns. And Wheel Guns are whats happening!

RSS Feed of thread