We just got back from Leavenworth

by Glen, Saturday, August 24, 2013, 21:02 (4053 days ago)

We had a nice visit and had some fun shopping, eating, etc. Stayed at a beautiful log cabin up in the hills, overlooking the valley, etc. and really enjoyed that. Yesterday afternoon about 2:45pm we were heading back into town to do some more shopping, eating, etc. We were stopped at a stoplight waiting for the light to change and got rear-ended by a guy who turned out to be soused. Lenita smacked her head pretty hard on the headrest and was pretty upset, but was still able to call 911 while I spoke with the other driver and got his drivers license and insurance info. Chelan County Sherriff's deputy showed up in about 3 minutes, and brought in 6 EMTs to look over Lenita and assist in his evaluation of the other driver. Eyewitness stopped and told the deputy that he had followed the guy down out of the mountains and into town and he was weaving all over the road. As the Deputy was administering the field sobriety tests (which were not going very smoothly), the other driver's pants kept trying to fall down, and he was trying to pull them up and adjust his belt to hold them in place, and the simple operation of a belt was proving to be beyond his capabilities. This guy was too intoxicated to operate A BELT but he felt comfortable getting behind the wheel and driving?!?!?

Thank God it wasn't worse. (Nm)

by Boge Quinn, Saturday, August 24, 2013, 21:20 (4053 days ago) @ Glen

VERY glad it wasn't worse!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, August 24, 2013, 21:34 (4053 days ago) @ Glen

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Dittos!!! It could have so easily been so much

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, August 24, 2013, 21:48 (4053 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

worse...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Catoosa, Saturday, August 24, 2013, 22:52 (4053 days ago) @ Glen

Betcha pocket change he didn't have any insurance, either.

There's a regular epidemic of drunks having wrecks and hurting people around here lately. One of our neighbor ladies got hit headon by a guy who had already hit two parked cars before he ever got out onto the highway. She is alive but all busted up and will probably never fully recover. Facing massive hospital bills. Drunk had no insurance and no money. Too bad we can't harvest his organs and sell 'em to help her out.

by anachronism, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 09:00 (4052 days ago) @ Glen

This guy was too intoxicated to operate A BELT but he felt comfortable getting behind the wheel and driving?

Sure, it's not like he had to stand up or anything difficult like that.

Seriously, I am glad that you're both okay. Machines can be repaired or replaced. People are irreplaceable.

Won't be the least bit surprised . . .

by Kentucky, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 11:59 (4052 days ago) @ Glen

. . . to learn that this was not his first DUI.

Multiple repeat offenders seem to be the norm these days.

:-|

I've been on three juries

by anachronism, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 15:08 (4052 days ago) @ Kentucky

I've been on three juries, and two of them were for repeat DWIs. The Defense Attorneys tell their clients to request a jury trial because the average Joe off the street doesn't know the ins and outs of the criminal code, and therefore are more likely to decide in the Defendants favor that a Judge would. So if you get selected for a Jury for a DWI, watch everything closely because the Defendants trying to avoid having a Judge make the ruling. This of course, can mean that the evidence may be overwhelming.

I have been playing on the computer a bit....

by Glen, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 20:18 (4052 days ago) @ Kentucky

...and from what I have learned, this is not his first run-in with the law, but it does seem to be his first DUI arrest. From the little bit I have learned, the intoxicant involved might not have been alcohol...

RSS Feed of thread