41 magnum history and information request.....

by Alfred John, Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 17:43 (4056 days ago)

I am curious concerning the 41 magnum. I have two Smith and Wesson's one is the model 58 (NICKLE PLATED) and one is the 657 mountain gun configuration. They are nice when I use my hand loads, shoots flat and accurately. I was wondering on a rainy day, I know the concept was to have two different loadings one for magnum, and one for "Police". I remember when here was a lot of talk trying to attract manufactures to introduce them with the idea they would increase the stopping power on the revolvers carried by police and also have more power for hunter or bad situations. I understand the magnum loads were potent and for some reason a number were adopted by some police agencies but I would guess management only went with the hotter loads. Did any of the ammunition companies make a reduced (lead bullet?) loading as intended for police use? I cannot find my older books on this round, I do like the Buffalo Bore Loads as well as the commercial magnum loads. I am curious as to what the industry standard was to be for the reduced police use loading. Of course the advent of police adopting the high capacity semi auto pistols rather cancelled or caused the decline of this cartridge. Like I say I am just curious is any of the big ammo companies ever tried to go forth with a different, from magnum loads? Just something different for me for a change. Thanks if anyone has information. I do my own hand loading so ammo availability isn't a problem. It seems sometimes this cartridge does fall of the radar. have a good day.

A 'good' .41 Magnum reference

by FOG, Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 18:42 (4056 days ago) @ Alfred John

The .41 Remington Magnum. by John Barsness

This article includes the 'original specs' (exterior ballistics) of the .41 Magnum cartridge, as made by Remington.

--
[image]

A 'good' .41 Magnum reference

by Bud, Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 19:13 (4056 days ago) @ FOG

Seein as how you reload, you could tailor a load to your liking. I've pretty much settled on nice keith style 245 gr CB at 1000 fps. It has enough power for close in hunting and very accurate in most of my 41's. I have some 1200+ loads using the same CB that are for serious matters, however most of my 41's shoot the heavier CB's much better than the 210/220's that everyone seem to use in 41's.

The one thing that really tempts me with a .41 Magnum is...

by rob @, Saturday, August 24, 2013, 08:37 (4053 days ago) @ Bud

That a 240-260 grain bullet is heavy for caliber and, like you mentioned, the heavy for caliber bullets always seem to be much more accurate in every handgun I've owned. They also have better sectional density giving better penetration. So, a 245-260 bullet in a .41 at 1200 fps has about the same recoil as a standard 240g .44 load but with a .44, to get the same heavy for caliber bullet you need to go to the 300g class. As I get older I like to lift heavier weights and shoot milder guns:)

Yes Remington made a 210 LSWC reduced load.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 23:09 (4056 days ago) @ Alfred John

Skeeter Skelton, & Elmer Keith both wrote about the 41. Look up John Taffin's articles as well.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Gun Notes, volume 1 (I think) has a treasure trove

by brionic @, Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 23:55 (4056 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

of Mr. Keith's thoughts on the variety of loads for and appropriate use of the .41 Magnum.

The two volumes, as a whole, continue to impress and educate. It's hard to fathom why they haven't been reprinted. I'm glad I snagged my copies

Not sure, but I did give mine...

by FOG, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 00:10 (4056 days ago) @ brionic

To a good cause. ;-)

--
[image]

Yes Remington made a 210 LSWC reduced load.

by Lee J. @, hagerman,NM, Friday, August 23, 2013, 22:05 (4054 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I believe Hal Swiggett lobbyed to get that 210 gr. LSWC on the market. Would have been an excellent LE load.
But remember back during that time most LE agencies used 38 Spl. and MANY were geared
to load practice ammo to those standards.
When the FBI tried to go to 10mm they could not get all agents qualified with the 10mm. They said too much recoil.
Standardized on the lower loaded 40 Smith.
When you talk about entire departments going to more expensive guns and more powerful calibers, Hold the phone.
We are not talking gun enthusiast when you talk an entire dept.
On a 100 man dept you might have 2-3 gun cranks.
Years ago I watched several of the Chicago PD's who had to fire a cylinder full every 3 months whether they wanted to or not.
Gun and cartridge. Try and convince the city Fathers, and the cop o the beat. Yea,
I watched guys scrunch up, close both eyes and fire double action and miss a B-27 target at 21 feet. 41 Mag ??? Gun nuts have to concentrate.
Sure it would be a great LE cartridge, just convince the City Fathers, with an already un-funded, retirement program. :-(

by Alfred John, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 07:42 (4055 days ago) @ Alfred John

Thank you every one. Some good information on this cartridge. I do like my two revolvers. Just curious has anyone explored converting an "L" frame into a five (5) shot revolver. It is very costly to even think about. Just a thought. Everyone have a great day. ATB

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 09:10 (4055 days ago) @ Alfred John

Alfred:

For casual shooting, I've found that cast semi-wadcutter bullets in the 210-220 grain range at about 1000 feet per second are delightful. I particularly enjoy them in a Freedom Arms Model 97, which is fairly light in weight and comes back smartly with factory loads. I reserve hotter loads for my Ruger Redhawk, which is a good deal heavier and a whole lot more pleasant to shoot with heavier loads than the Model 97.

Rem

If we're going to drift to load data...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 10:52 (4055 days ago) @ Alfred John

I've mostly been loading either 7.0 gr. Unique under a 210 gr. cast or 22 gr. of Lil'Gun under the 210 gr. XTP. I much prefer the former in my OM Ruger 4-5/8" Blackhawk and the latter in my 16" Contender Carbine.

PS - there is NO .41 Mag ammo at the shop...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Handloader ran an article about downloaded .41

by brionic @, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 20:10 (4055 days ago) @ Hobie

a few years back. Venturino, if I recall.

I prob have it somewhere is anyone is interested.

RSS Feed of thread