Stopping Power – Explained By Richard Mann

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 09:50 (4056 days ago)

"Two guys walk into a beer joint in South Alabama and sit beside each other at the bar. One is a portly fellow with greying hair and a handlebar mustache. We’ll call him Guy No. 1. The other dude is younger and thinner and he is dressed in a suit and wearing a cowboy hat and boots. We’ll call him Guy No. 2..."
http://ramworks.net/blog/stopping-power-explained/

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Walking into a juke joint in south Alabama

by John K., Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 11:54 (4056 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

wearing a suit and cowboy hat... he will need more than a 22mag.

If he survives that, Cletus will find out about the meeting with his girlfriend out back and will bring his entire redneck family... he will need more than a 22mag.

If he survives that, he will discover the "old portly fellow" owns the entire county right after the local cops "discover" drugs in his BMW... and no gun will help him then.

Stopping Power – JLF

by JLF @, Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 19:57 (4056 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

95% of us have never been shot, but 99% of us have watched Movies and TV where people were shot. That makes our *only* frame of reference for being shot, movies and TV. So if you shoot 95% of us with a .22 short, we will say some ugly words, and then fall down, lie down, sit down, or maybe crash through a window if we're the dramatic type, or run away if we were up to no good. Regardless of our reaction, the *point* is that we will "stop" doing whatever we were doing before we were shot with a .22 short.

That leaves the eternal stopping-power debate concerned with only 5% of us, and rewards the piddly .22 short with a 95% success rate. Not bad! :-D

JLF

I think it was Donald Hamilton that said

by David R, Orlando, Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 21:02 (4056 days ago) @ JLF

A .22 will kill you just as dead as anything larger, it just takes a few days for sepsis to set in if it doesn't hit anything vital.

Walking into a juke joint in south Alabama

by Catoosa, Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 22:40 (4056 days ago) @ John K.

You Sir, must be from the South. You know it well.....

I think it was Donald Hamilton that said

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 05:15 (4055 days ago) @ David R

I've read in a couple places that the old hands from the Wild West days were more afraid of the little Remington derringers in .41 rf than a .44 or .45 colt. The .44 or .45 would usually pass through and as long as you made it through the fist day or two, you'd heal up. This little .41's rarely passed through depositing the slug as well as all kinds of pocket lint and grubbiness inside of your gut to kill you slowly and painfully!

LOL, yeah, 20yrs in SW GA followed by 30yrs in SE AL

by John K., Thursday, August 22, 2013, 10:22 (4055 days ago) @ Catoosa

oughta do it...

You lived in LA?! (Lower Alabama)

by stonewalrus, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 11:10 (4055 days ago) @ John K.

My wife works at a university and had a student worker from there. Became a math teacher and Lord when she said "pi" it had about 5 syllables.

There was a recent American Rifleman article

by stonewalrus, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 11:16 (4055 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

On the LCR in 22 magnum. The author pretty much defended it by saying it's a great gun to carry to intimidate people but admitted it was not much gun if you have to use it!

You lived in LA?! (Lower Alabama)

by John K., Thursday, August 22, 2013, 11:32 (4055 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Yep, Dothan. Right in the SE corner. About 20mi from Ga and 20mi from FL.

That lilting, yo-yo'ing, end every sentence on the upswing so that it sounds like an interrogative drives me nuts.

Then there's the local talk-while-wallering-a-mouth-full-of-baccy-around accent. Good luck understanding that one, I certainly can't.

Actually, I'm surprised my own accent isn't FAR worse just from everyday association.

I remember Elmer commenting on just that

by mcassill, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 11:46 (4055 days ago) @ Slow Hand

My Linda is from just 1/2 mile south of Atmore, AL

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, August 24, 2013, 12:43 (4053 days ago) @ John K.

in the other Escambia County (i.e. Florida). I've never had a moment's doubt about what anyone in her family was saying and my family were all NY and MA yankees.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread