caribou not much in evidence on our trip but it was amazing

by cable, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 17:03 (4059 days ago)
edited by cable, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 23:26

anyway. a few photos will give you the idea.

the Denali HIghway is just 135 miles of fairly poorly maintained dirt road. was opened in the mide 1950s and back then was the only road to the Denali National park. it travels through completely undeveloped land. Being road accessible there are limits on caribou permits [ if you fly in somewhere you can shoot 5 per day ]; i got this Tier I permit which covers this area and a vast amount of other land, some of it nearby.

on the way:

[image]

starting up a high trail. we four wheeled and used binoculars many hours each day:

[image]

looking back down at the ' highway ':

[image]

the season opened on the 10th but the either sex part was shut down on the 11th, before i even headed up there. the only caribou we saw within shooting range was a female, naturally. the weather was warm and the animals were not moving.

this land is so vast and so empty ! in all directions, this is how it looks, a treat for the soul:

[image]

sunsets are spectacular:
[image]

[image]

the only edibles we did score were ptarmigan, ; my stepson John got 6 of them using a combo gun that has a 12 gauge barrel. he used the the little aguila mini 12 ga shells-- six shots and six birds:

[image]

the birds are already starting to turn white....autumn has started in this far north place:

[image]

we all had a great time. weather was nice [ into the 40s at night but warmer in day ] , food was good, and we still have many chances to fill that caribou tag, and do so some moose hunting, and lots more bird hunting

I was hoping you would post pictures. Thanks!

by stonewalrus, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 17:56 (4059 days ago) @ cable

Nm

Thanks so much for sharing that!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 19:03 (4059 days ago) @ cable

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

cLooks like a great time. That boy will remeber that trip.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 19:24 (4059 days ago) @ cable

Cool Velmet(Or Savage?) great camp gun.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

gun is a Baikal, 12 ga over 7.62 x 39; pretty nice looking

by cable, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 20:56 (4059 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

and quite accurate. i am trying to set it up with a quick removable scope mount, but not very quickly removable yet :-P
it has removable choke tubes.
i have one in 12 ga over 308 and that would be a pretty good survival tool as well. these guns are generally quite acccurate, and a bit heavy but still good guns for the money, i think.

i like combo guns a lot, especially the three barrel variety.

Thanks for sharing,

by Jared, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 22:43 (4059 days ago) @ cable

I need to get out and do more hunting.

me too; and i hope to do so. our country is so diverse

by cable, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 23:23 (4059 days ago) @ Jared

and amazing, there are wonders to see in every state. this state offers difficult access often, but with airplanes and four wheelers much of it becomes accessible.

to stand on these high places and look out and see the vastness of creation...... well it is just too much for me to express.

yes, i need to get out much more in the time left to me. :-)

I understand totally

by Jared, Monday, August 19, 2013, 07:13 (4058 days ago) @ cable

We just had our first son, later in life than most, and I don't want him growing up in the city. We are trying to figure out the best plan of action to get away. I picked up a charter trip to Juneau this summer and spent a week there. We had a blast did a lot of fishing and some hiking. I fly for an airline, but being gone so much doesn't appeal to me.

Thanks for the pictures!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, August 19, 2013, 08:17 (4058 days ago) @ cable

Wonderful piece of Earth.

RSS Feed of thread