.45 ACP odd balls...What are they?

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 10:59 (4062 days ago)

[image]

[image]
A free holster top the first correct answer on either one.:-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

The one on the left;

by cas, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 11:15 (4062 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Choco-45's. I got them in my easter basket as a kid, d-licious!
(obviously the foil wrapper has been removed)

Peters "riot cartridge" on the left.

by John K., Thursday, August 15, 2013, 11:25 (4062 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Shot filled paper for Thompson. Bet you could really pepper a crowd with those things.

Looks like a shot cartridge but it is not...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 11:27 (4062 days ago) @ John K.

much more benign and arcane.

--

the one on the left....

by Glen, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 11:38 (4062 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

...is too long to function in a 1911 magazine, so I'm going to guess that it was for the M1917 revolver. Back in WWI timeframe training rounds loaded with wooden bullets were sometimes used, so I'm going to guess a wooden bullet training round.

Not even close...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 11:41 (4062 days ago) @ Glen

:-)

--

Like I said....

by Glen, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 15:00 (4062 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

....it was a guess. ;-)

Looks like a rubber bullet to me. Don't think I've

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 11:46 (4062 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

ever seen one before.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

paper capsule full of yellow wax like dye used for brake

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 12:06 (4062 days ago) @ Hobie

tests 1911 mounted to fender gun fires when brakes are applied round fires marking initial point of application of braking. I was invited to Pete Decoux's place, yesterday. he is a world class cartridge collector... he gave me these two rounds. He has file cabin its FULL of the coolest most comprehensive cartridge collection I am aware of. The second round is 1960/70 era Winchester/western test case with a slightly thicker web for an experimental sub machine gun round. One of the most remarkable 45 ACPs was a Vietnam era HIGH explosive .006 second time delayed 45ACP rounds...word of mouth relates that they worked extremely well.Next time I am invited I will bring a camera get some photo's and post them.

--

They certainly look very similar

by John K., Thursday, August 15, 2013, 13:14 (4062 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

http://www.oldammo.com/june06.htm

Perhaps Peters used the oddball paper cartridge machinery on both. Even though it wasn't what I thought, it still brought a smile to my face envisioning a rioting crowd "steppin n fetchin" after a couple of Thompsons dumped a mag of birdshot.

The blank headstamp gives me the creeps. Somewhere around here I have some 8mm and 7.62x51 with no headstamp. Ain't gonna shoot it, not even in a 98 Mauser. :-(

Yep, me too suposed to be a HOT Sub MG round.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 13:17 (4062 days ago) @ John K.

Not sure what new Subgun in 45 ACP was being tested in the 60-70d era. I did come out a commercial box of Winchester Western with a gov code ed label explaining what it was to used for.

--

The Ingram M-10 would digest it with no problem.

by John K., Thursday, August 15, 2013, 13:27 (4062 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

It was also notorious for firing before the bolt was fully closed, heavily expanding the base of the cartridge. Might be an alternate & additional explaintion for the heavy web.

Developed during the same timeframe - mid 60s, but just speculation.

The Ingram M-10 Probably the one.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 13:44 (4062 days ago) @ John K.

--

That'll teach me to be busy doing things instead of on the

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 18:24 (4062 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

forum...

I was just talking yesterday with my wife's nephew about the "brake guns" they used to test reaction time and how there can be the difference between accident or no accident because of the distance traveled during a slowed reaction time due to the consumption of just one beer. Anyway, glad to see I was right. Had NO clue about the other one. Obviously no headstamp - that makes it a bit tricky to guestimate on...

RSS Feed of thread