1911 problem

by Leatherbark (Bob Hatfield), Saturday, August 10, 2013, 09:06 (4067 days ago)

Or should I say a Systema 1927 problem. When I dry fire the weapon the firing pin sticks all the way forward with the pin sticking out of the slide about a 1/4 inch. I've replaced the firing pin and spring and the retainer. I do notice that the tapered part of the firing pin seems to be the culprit and I have turned it down cylindrical to where it will not stick in the hole when pushed by hand. But it still does it when I dry fire the gun. It is almost like the hammer is driving the pin as far as it will go and maybe the pin head is moving over to the side and not letting it return back into the retainer. The back of the slide under the retainer has a peened area for some reason. The chip McCormick hammer hits the retainer lower than the original. Any one ever have this problem?

Bob

1911 problem

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, August 10, 2013, 09:58 (4067 days ago) @ Leatherbark (Bob Hatfield)

Is there a burr on the firing pin hole in the slide? Maybe see if you can't find a slightly smaller drill but and turn it in there by hand also a good scrubbing out of the firing pins hole/slot would be a good idea if you haven't already done it you could stick a cotton swab in the hole and spin it to see if it pulls any cotton off of it, indicating a burr.

1911 problem

by woody, Saturday, August 10, 2013, 10:17 (4067 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I would check the firing pin stop. It maybe hanging up on the end of the pin.

1911 problem

by Charles, Saturday, August 10, 2013, 15:19 (4067 days ago) @ Leatherbark (Bob Hatfield)

I have never had that problem, but I would do as the others have suggested. I would polish anything that pins slides through and in. There is a burr or high spot somewhere.

It is an inertial firing pin, so it travels further forward

by John K., Saturday, August 10, 2013, 15:29 (4067 days ago) @ Leatherbark (Bob Hatfield)

from a hammer strike than just pushing it flush with a finger.

From your description, it sounds a bit like during dry firing, the firing pin travels just far enough forward to allow the firing pin stop to slide downward, locking the firing pin forward. This theory is supported by the fact that someone tried to peen the slide to make it stay put...

Try dry firing the gun upside down and see if it still occurs.

It is an inertial firing pin, so it travels further forward

by Catoosa, Saturday, August 10, 2013, 21:47 (4067 days ago) @ John K.

I'll bet John K nailed it. Unless the firing pin stop (retainer) fits tightly (seldom the case on a well-used gun) it will slip down when the pin goes all the way forward. If the upside-down trick works, try raising a burr on the inside (front) face of the retainer with a small prick punch. That will work for a while, but you may need to get an oversized f/p stop fitted.

BTW, a loose firing pin retainer will cause extraction problems, too, by allowing the extractor to "clock" or twist in its channel. Don't ask me how I know.

RSS Feed of thread