Quick question on AR pistol lowers.....

by Byron, Friday, August 09, 2013, 15:44 (4068 days ago)

I want to build up a AR pistol.

Can my dealer just pull a AR lower off the shelf and check the "handgun" box on the no form or does the lower need to be manufactured as a pistol?

Thanks in advance.

Byron

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, August 09, 2013, 16:55 (4068 days ago) @ Byron

There has to be some difference. Otherwise, the Black Boots would be visiting anyone that owned an AR rifle and AR pistol because the upper from the pistol could be put on the rifle. Maybe the upper is different.....just thinking outloud, I don't know.

There isn't. Illogical laws/regs, constant

by John K., Friday, August 09, 2013, 18:01 (4068 days ago) @ Cherokee

re-interpretations, and erratic enforcement that varies by locale are all hallmarks of the Feds, unfortunately.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, August 09, 2013, 17:00 (4068 days ago) @ Byron

They are listed as 'receiver' or 'other', I forget which. I just reciever an 8.5" .300 blackout barrel so I assembled a stripped lower I got for Christmas with a pistol buffer tube. Unfortunately I didn't look at the gas block sizes so I couldn't put it all the way together. I had a 16" upper that I swapped the 8.5" barrel onto after I assembled the lower. The plan is to eventually SBR it, but I can play with it this way until the stamp comes back. I'm using a 12" free float tube that my .30 cal can fits inside of, so it's a little over 16" with the can installed.

Gonna "cane-tip" the buffer?

by John K., Friday, August 09, 2013, 18:05 (4068 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Byron, follow this link for a copy of an ATF letter about new receivers:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/465457_ATF_opinion_letter_on_stripped_lowers_for_pis...

Gonna "cane-tip" the buffer?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, August 10, 2013, 10:03 (4067 days ago) @ John K.

I thought about it. I'm using a pistol buffer tube with grooves milled parallel to it and some knurling on it. I held it up and it pretty I h outs mynose to the charging handle. I prefer to be back a little further but I know some guys shoot that way. I'm going to shoot it some before I worry about sending in my Form 1 on it. A stock would help to balance it out quite a bit, especiLly with the can on the front end.

Not sure if I mentioned it I the other post, but as it sits now, it's legl tu hunt deer in IN, suppressor and all! Once I register it and add a stock, it's not a legal rifle caliber!! I love it when folk who have no concept of ballistics set up laws for what's legal to hunt with!

I can't scrunch up like that.

by John K., Saturday, August 10, 2013, 11:06 (4067 days ago) @ Slow Hand

It does seem IN gets more and more complicated on legal defs. I hope it will one day be simple to hunt deer with rifles and pistols there without a lot of cipherin'.

Sure is taking them a while to get there.

I can't scrunch up like that.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, August 11, 2013, 08:27 (4066 days ago) @ John K.

A few years back we went from shotgun/muzzle loader/handgun only during firearms season to them allowing 'pistol' calibers. Instead of listing cartridges of foot pounds of energy, they go with minimum bore size and min/max case length. They lengthened the max to 1.80" last year to allow the .460 S&W. I took some 1.92" .35 Remington cases and trimmed them back. I used the same load as normal and loaded to the same OAL and then worked just fine in my old Model 8 carbine! Some guys are loading up a .35 cal wildcat based on the WSSM cases and are getting .358 Winchester ballistics.

by John K., Friday, August 09, 2013, 17:49 (4068 days ago) @ Byron

Officially, the rules say a stripped lower that was NEVER made up as a rifle can be logged as a "receiver", "other" or "handgun" and built that way. It can even be made into a rifle later, as it is ok to go from handgun to rifle, but not rifle to handgun. Shorthand - once a rifle, always a rifle.

On AR lowers, there is no differentiation as to rifle/handgun as manufactured.

I should also note in addition to the above that...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, August 09, 2013, 18:43 (4068 days ago) @ Byron

...receivers are noted as receivers on the Fed form 4473 NOT has handgun or long gun.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by John K., Friday, August 09, 2013, 19:06 (4068 days ago) @ Hobie

You are correct, however, it depends on your local ATF...

I had a long disagreement with my inspector on this subject. Exactly as stated to me: "You MUST log all AR lowers in as handguns, no exceptions". Ain't so. "Is too." Ain't. "You want a license or not?" Ok, fine.

by cubrock, Friday, August 09, 2013, 19:10 (4068 days ago) @ John K.

Local ATF may have said that to you, but their own written determinations contradict him/her.

Yes, but. How far would you go to piss off your local ATF

by John K., Friday, August 09, 2013, 19:46 (4068 days ago) @ cubrock

inspector?

Yes, but. How far would you go to piss off your local ATF

by cubrock, Friday, August 09, 2013, 20:00 (4068 days ago) @ John K.

I wouldn't try to, personally. :)

Exactly - not a hill to die on.

by John K., Friday, August 09, 2013, 20:12 (4068 days ago) @ cubrock

At least at this time.

Ok... I've heard similar stories of inconsistent

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, August 09, 2013, 22:03 (4068 days ago) @ John K.

instructions. The inspectors (not enforcement agents) constantly refer to a manual. It has been a while but I believe it is available on-line at the ATF site. Not that it would mean anything to some people. I know that for certain having dealt with various bureaucrats in several countries.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread