Took an old friend out shooting this morning...

by Glen, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 16:08 (4069 days ago)

3" Heavy-barrel, round-butt Model 10, loaded with the Keith HP (cast soft) loaded over 8.5 grains of HS-7 with a CCI 550 primer (this is a +P load). Clocked at 910 fps from the 3" Model 10. It was a good morning.

[image]

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 16:39 (4069 days ago) @ Glen

Looks great! Love the 3" K frames. I just saw a 3" square butt advertised locally for $330. The ad said it was an Austrailian contract and it had some sort of crest up near where the fifth screw would be on a five screw. It's tempting... If it were a round butt, I'd probably be mailing an offer. I've already got a great 3" model 65, so. I don't really need either but they are pretty sweet!

I picked up one of the 3" Aussies.

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 16:45 (4069 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Its a nice little revolver. I already have a 3" Model 13, but couldn't resist the Model 10. Its well worn but I like it all the same.

Those are just the classic revolver in my book

by stonewalrus, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 16:58 (4069 days ago) @ Wildcat

Don't have one, probably should. My first Smith - horrors - was plastic (M&P Compact).

There were some 3" K-frames from a South American contract

by Otony, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 17:04 (4069 days ago) @ Slow Hand

...that were floating around about 35 years ago. Might have been meant for Peru or Chile originally?

In any case, the interesting thing about them was that these sported 3" pencil barrels, as opposed to the heavy barrels we usually see. Combined with the round butt it not only handled quite nicely, it had a very "retro" look about it.

Of course I wasn't smart enough to buy one then, and have NEVER, EVER seen another.....sigh.

Otony

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 17:10 (4069 days ago) @ Otony

The Aussies have the pencil barrel. I'm toying with the idea of roundbutting mine. Seams like there was a Shooting Times article about that project way back in the '80s.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 20:17 (4069 days ago) @ Wildcat

This one was a heavy barrel:

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handguns-pistols-revolvers/308251-smith-wesson-model-10-5...

I had an old Spanish Smith copy years ago I round butted. I just t
Installed a set of RB stocks and scribed a line. Ground to that line and finished up with files and sandpaper until it looked ok. Worked fine for a cheap tackle box gun!

Actually, that 10-5 has a 'standard' 3-inch barrel

by FOG, Friday, August 09, 2013, 08:25 (4068 days ago) @ Slow Hand

If you look closely, you can see the rib is fairly narrow and slightly tapered toward the muzzle (as is the barrel itself).

That is the 'standard' profile for a 3-inch M&P barrel; the taper is slight, and straight, but the barrel is actually fairly 'light'.

[image]

In contrast, the 'heavy' barrel seen on Model 65s, etc. has virtually no taper, and the rib is almost full width (and likewise un-tapered).

Similar 3-inch 'bull' barrels also appear on later Model 10s than the 'dash 5'.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

Actually, that 10-5 has a 'standard' 3-inch barrel

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, August 09, 2013, 09:18 (4068 days ago) @ FOG

I see what you are saying now. My 3" 65 and my wife's 4" 10-? Both have straight, no (or minimal) taper heavy barrels

I'd still like to find an old Hand Ejector with a round butt and turn it into a factory looking 3". Nice and slim, smooth ction. Sounds like a fun project!

I'd like to find one of those! (nm)

by Boge Quinn, Friday, August 09, 2013, 08:42 (4068 days ago) @ Slow Hand

by stonecoldrc, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 19:11 (4069 days ago) @ Glen

Model 10 heavy barrels are just cool. Here is my old friend (a 4 inch) after I treated her to a new finish and new stocks.[image]

RSS Feed of thread