I need some advice on a scope...

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 17:15 (4070 days ago)

I need to scope a rifle, the following are in my budget. I've had Leupolds and Bushnells, but the others? I don't know.

I have a budget of $300, and it's not going to get any bigger,in spite of all my effort to save for something better, it won't happen. Somebody always needs a tooth filled, or books for school, or someone comes up short when it's time to pay the light bill, or needs their car fixed, and on and on. That's my life. And I don't ever say NO to family and friends, in-laws and out-laws. So...don't tell me to save for a NightForce, cause I won't live long enough. With that said, here's my choices:

Leupold VX-1
Redfield Revolution
Burris Fullfield II
Nikon Buckmaster
Vortex Diamondback
Bushnell Elite
Swift Premier (I have a pair of Swift Audubon Binoculars that I really like)

There's probably others, feel free to suggest them.

The rifle's a 270WSM

Thanks, and hurry before somebody needs something.

Joe

by uncowboy, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 17:32 (4070 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Zeiss has a new low budget line called the TERA slightly more money but worth it.

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 18:04 (4070 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I have a couple of Redfields and they are very good. That said, I picked up a Bushnell 4200 when that line was being closed out for the Elite. The optics are amazing! I mounted it on a Ar-15 that is a dedicated calling rifle for coyotes. Its better than the Leupolds I own (mainly VX IIs). Look on ebay. They pop up occasionally.

I just bought

by Lloyd Smale, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 03:59 (4069 days ago) @ pokynojoe

a new 2x7 vx1. Its the newest generation leupold. the new vx1s have the same click ajustments my vx2 purchased last year do and is the identitical scope. For 200 bucks your buying the same scope that cost 300 last year. Heck of a deal and it seems like a great little scope. Basicaly your buying a scope that is for all practical purposes the same scope the old vari x III was and they were considered one of the best on the market a few years back.

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 11:34 (4069 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Joe:

Don't discount the possibility of a used scope, either, particularly one of the better brands.

I'd go with Leupold or Redfield. (nm)

by Boge Quinn, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 14:56 (4069 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Redfield Revolution

by JD, Western Washington, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 14:57 (4069 days ago) @ pokynojoe

The optics on the new Redfields are outstanding, I consider them to be the best budget priced optics available, plus you get Leupold quality and Leupold's excellent customer service at a Redfield price.

I got my son a pair of the new Redfield binoculars and they are every bit as good as my much higher priced Leupolds and not far behind my Zeiss...

I've been pleased with Leupold, Redfield, and Bushnell Elite

by brionic @, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 15:36 (4069 days ago) @ pokynojoe

You might consider checking samplelist.com, where demo units are sold at discount.

Covering most of the bases...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 15:45 (4069 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I have been happy with the Burris scopes I've had. Like Rem suggested above, I do pick up a lot of used glass at shows.

Thanks everyone...

by pokynojoe, Friday, August 09, 2013, 06:50 (4068 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I went to the shop and found three on my list. They were all fine but I chose a VX-1 with LR reticle. I just liked it a little more than the others, and it was only $239. The fellow at the shop said he'd been trying to get the new Zeiss that J. Michael proposed, but he was told not to expect delivery until November or December, must be selling pretty good!

Besides, I figured if a VX-1 is good enough for Lloyd, it was more than adequate for me. Thanks Lloyd!

Now I have to start saving for the rest of the "junk", I have enough left over for a set of dies, but then I'll need bullets, primers, powder, brass, and ...jeez, buying a new rifle sure is a slippery slope. But after all these years, it's my first real left hand rifle! Just couldn't say no.

Regards
Joe

RSS Feed of thread