"Django Unchained" - good, unclean fun

by brionic @, Tuesday, August 06, 2013, 23:54 (4071 days ago)

Despite some of the negative press, Django Unchained was thoroughly enjoyable and surprisingly good. I was astonished by the beauty of the photography and the music. Despite a slurry of f-, mf- and n-bombs, the film was less exploitative or sleazy than I had anticipated. Cartoonish grotesque violence is the rule, but not in the repulsive manner of his earlier films like Reservoir Dogs or even Inglorious Basterds.

Great cameos. Outstanding set design and cinematography. Music, especially the Morricone sendups and Morricone-actual contributions. A star turn by German actor Christoph Waltz.

That being said, the stereotyping of southerners as either the genteel wealthy or ignorant hillbillies may offend some, so be warned. But seen in the light of "Duck you sucker", "Django", or "The Big Gundown", where violence rules the day and nobody is a "good guy", it works, in an amoral way. The slavery issue is central to the film, but resolves in the man's rising to his own level of excellence, regardless of race or past, in an interesting spin on the "shades of grey" morality of Leone's epics.

Back to the music. If you're a fan of the Morricone/Tevis style songs like "A gringo like me" or "Lonesome Billy", you will be pleased. Also, an interesting mix of Jim Croce, James Brown, Johnny Cash, Beethoven, and Ritchie Havens. Unsurprisingly, the commercial soundtrack omits most of the good stuff.

Before my old radio shows, I used to play an objectionable material cart. Same disclaimer here.

I am not suggesting this film holds a candle to anything by Leone. But I enjoyed and recommend it. One of the more entertaining new westerns I've watched in several years.

Good, 'unclean' sources

by FOG, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 01:42 (4071 days ago) @ brionic

Thanks for the tip

by FOG, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 04:46 (4070 days ago) @ brionic

Given the title, I can usually find the movie, but I have a lot of trouble remembering names, so I usually don't know what to look for.

I just watched this one and thought it was pretty funny. It's a bit coarse, of course, but most movies are these days.

If you're in the mood for a 'Western'-themed black comedy, I'd recommend it. [image]

--
[image]

Yes...Offensive

by Charles, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 14:14 (4070 days ago) @ brionic

The movie was indeed anti-south and therefor offensive and unwatchable by me.

JMO, but it's about as 'offensive' as "Blazing Saddles"

by FOG, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 15:29 (4070 days ago) @ Charles

And about the only difference is, 'they' wouldn't dare make a movie like Blazing Saddles nowadays.

Or so I thought. ;-)

--
[image]

Yes, slavery was and is offensive....

by Byron, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 18:42 (4069 days ago) @ Charles

by Drago, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 20:39 (4069 days ago) @ Byron

Just as offensive as the Federal government imposing its will on the states by force of arms.

by Charles, Friday, August 09, 2013, 11:42 (4068 days ago) @ Byron
edited by Charles, Friday, August 09, 2013, 11:45

Slavery is indeed a moral evil. However it was not confined to the South. There were slaves all through the North and it was legal in Delaware, Maryland and the District of Columbia. Honest Abe, the Great Emancipator lived hip and thigh with slavery in his own hood.

Folks today think the South was responsible for slavery and vilified as a result. Southerners are portrayed as evil rich men wallowing in their wealth produced by slaves or ignorant white trash. This is a gross distortion of the truth.

Entertainment is also a vehicle for brainwashing a nation. The Nazis knew this and so does Hollywood. This is what I find offensive. It is a form of slander against the South.

The Southern white man just does not have an Al Sharpton or a Jessie Jackson to rub the nations noses in their prejudices.

Movies like this feed the stereotype of the black victim, put upon by the white man and needs to redress the grievous wrong done to his people. Then you guys wonder why the black people and liberals are so spun up by the Martin/Zimmerman affair.

I can't get past my dislike for

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 14:10 (4069 days ago) @ brionic

Jamie Foxx, his political comments have ensured that I will not be watching any of his work anytime soon.

exactly...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 16:43 (4069 days ago) @ Dave B

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

"Django Unchained" - good, unclean fun

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Thursday, August 08, 2013, 23:35 (4069 days ago) @ brionic

You really should look up some of Mr Foxx's comments about this steaming pile of a movie.

And I got a movie coming out, "Django," check it out. Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson. “Django Unchained” I play a slave. How black is that? And in the movie I had to wear chains. How whack is that? But don't be worried about it because I get out the chains, I get free, I save my wife, and I kill all the white people in the movie. How great is that? And how black is that?

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/12/10/jamie-foxx-jokes-about-killing-al...

That's creepy.

by brionic @, Friday, August 09, 2013, 00:15 (4069 days ago) @ Warhawk

I hadn't seen that.

RSS Feed of thread