So I won this today over on Gunauction

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Tuesday, August 06, 2013, 22:07 (4071 days ago)

1955 Single Six Flatgate. I bid on it without closely reading the description, which states it doesn't cycle properly. Oh boy. My thinking is that if this is true, I will send it to Ruger if it has not been converted, let them convert it and get it running properly (hopefully while doing the conversion at no charge). Then convert it back. I'll be into it for under $300 which is probably too much, but these oldies aren't found easily for small money. A little bonus is that it comes with an old belt and holster.

[image]

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 03:41 (4071 days ago) @ Andrew

Pretty cool! I'd be happy with it for what you've got in it. Tear it down and have a look when it arrives; it could be something simple. You never know!

I can't tell you how many guns "don't work right"

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 07:04 (4070 days ago) @ Andrew

because of operator headspace. I.e. the operator ain't operating the mechanism correctly or understand how it supposed to operate.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by matt/pa @, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 07:24 (4070 days ago) @ Andrew
edited by matt/pa, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 07:27

Not a bad ol' flatgate, Andrew.

Andrew, the Ruger lockwork mechanism is so simple that even I can troubleshoot, fix, and improve it...and I'm all thumbs. Before you send it to Ruger, take it apart, give it a good cleaning, and see if that helps.

I have found that most Rugers that won't cycle are easily fixed with either a good cleaning (especially 22s) and a few parts replaced.

Their description of "won't cycle" could be a simple fix.

From the picture, it looks like the trigger is very forward in the trigger guard. Could be a broker trigger sear, which is easily fixed with a trigger. Heck, you can even take a conversion trigger and cut off the transfer bar link...that would be a very cheap and easy fix. I have plenty of conversion parts and could send you one if that's what it needs.

Now, of course, if you want it converted, reblued, etc... then sending it to Ruger is the way to go.

BB45C

I think the ol' gal looks nice as it is...

by Boge Quinn, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 09:54 (4070 days ago) @ Andrew

...I bet it won't be hard to fix, and then you'll be in the fabled Catbird's Seat, into a dandy little sixgun for not much money. You done good!

That'll never be more than a parts gun...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 13:34 (4070 days ago) @ Andrew

best you send it here and save yourself the agony. ;-)

Seriously, good scoop. I love those old Flatgates.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 16:51 (4070 days ago) @ Andrew

They are great little guns, that one looks like mine, except I wore a bit more finish off mine over the past 50+ years. That trigger could be the only problem, after a good cleaning, and easily fixed as Matt said.

RSS Feed of thread