Sister in law needs a gun. I need some input folks.

by Murphy @, Monday, August 05, 2013, 22:15 (4072 days ago)

My sister in law (my brother who passed away 2 years ago widow) really needs a firearm in her home. She lives alone and the neighbourhood has been steadily going downhill where she lives.

I tried last year to get her to think about a handgun. Their 2 grandchildren (2 & 6 year's old) are there pretty often. She's afraid one of them may find it and an accident happen. I had her try to pull the slide on my Kel-tec, but she just doesn't have the strength. A revolver worried her even more.

The only 2 options left are a semi-auto with a magazine disconect system, or a pump shotgun. My sister lives only 175 yards away and can easily help her load the handgun and familiarize her with it. My sister law does know a bit about pump shotguns (she grew up a country girl). A 12 gauge would be too much for her, but she has shot .410's and isn't afraid of them.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Murphy

sounds like a relatively short 20 ga 870 is inorder to me.

by MR, Monday, August 05, 2013, 22:39 (4072 days ago) @ Murphy

If not the mag disconnect auto might be the thing.

agree; and for a handgun beretta 86 , tip up barrel,

by cable, Monday, August 05, 2013, 23:11 (4072 days ago) @ MR

doesnt require racking the slide ever.very safe easy to use action. quite accurate.

we had ours out recently -- every one , males and females, could shoot it quite well, and rapidly

Youth model 20 gauge H&R Pardner shotgun

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, August 06, 2013, 08:07 (4071 days ago) @ Murphy

Walmart frequently has them under $200. It is the Remington 870 design. I have the 12 gauge turkey gun version.

by Jhenry, Tuesday, August 06, 2013, 09:58 (4071 days ago) @ Murphy

Both of my boys have 20 gauge shotguns. One has a Mossberg pump we got at Walmart for a really reasonable price. The other one has a 20 gauge double barrel, Brazillian made, that I like quite a bit.Either would workwith OO loads. If mechanical things intimidate her the double might be a decent choice. Have a smith cut it to a short, legal length and put a big bead on it.

I think the small autos are harder to rack the slide

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, August 06, 2013, 10:20 (4071 days ago) @ Murphy

Than the larger autos. What about the Keltec 22 magnum. A Ruger Mark II or Mark III should be easy as there isn't a slide to rack but I'm not thrilled with 22s for defense.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, August 06, 2013, 10:34 (4071 days ago) @ Murphy

Looking back at my own youth, there is no way to keep kids from finding guns in the house, and if they can find the gun, they can find the magazine; same for ammo. Gun has to be locked up whatever it is. The pump shotgun 20 ga would be my choice.

To me pump shotguns are easiest to secure

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, August 06, 2013, 10:40 (4071 days ago) @ Cherokee

A cable lock through the open action will work well or one of the life jacket gun locks.

http://www.sportlockllc.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=LJS0

and as biden says: go out on the deck and fire both barrels

by cable, Tuesday, August 06, 2013, 11:20 (4071 days ago) @ Jhenry

into the air !

actually a double 20 really is a good idea if the person is totally intimidated by the mechanics of a pump or otherwise has physical difficulties.

I thought I'd posted... for me the 20 ga Remgington

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, August 06, 2013, 11:56 (4071 days ago) @ Murphy

870 Express Compact Jr. is the best deal. Can be had with laminate or synthetic stocks. 20 ga. of course. 21" barrel has sporting look but riot gun length with choke tubes AND ability to add slug barrel if desired. A cable lock through the loading and ejection ports will work (although any security can be defeated) and the whole gun could be thus locked to an eye bolt in the wall. Such can be installed so that it would be easier to cut the cable than remove the bolt. Training for the kids is mandatory.

Single shots will do, if you have to. Dittos doubles. Doesn't sound like she has skills or desire to train to use handgun. Might get her a can of 20 ft wasp spray in the interim. I am not pleased with the Mossberg and while I like the Ithaca "better" the HD version is less flexible/adaptable.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I agree with Hobie

by Scribe, Tuesday, August 06, 2013, 14:53 (4071 days ago) @ Hobie

Almost bought one last fall for a South Jersey deer hunt. Nice handling gun. Lots of self-defense potential.

Fit me quite well and the price was decent. Changed my mind at the last minute and it was snapped up right away by someone looking for a shotgun for their son.

Scribe

I agree on the anti-Mossberg I had a 20 gauge that fell

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, August 06, 2013, 15:58 (4071 days ago) @ Hobie

Apart sitting in the gun safe. Hadn't had 200 rounds through it. I did keep it loaded - guess it just fatigued. Also only one slide bar on the 20 (or at least my old one) instead of the dual on 12s.

by Catoosa, Tuesday, August 06, 2013, 17:36 (4071 days ago) @ Murphy

3 or 4 inch J-frame .38 loaded with lead "cowboy" loads, and a padlock through the trigger guard BEHIND the trigger. Key with her at all times. Gun can be left loaded, but can't be cocked or fired unless the lock is removed, and that can be done quickly with the key.

A dog, and plenty of signage

by brionic @, Tuesday, August 06, 2013, 17:44 (4071 days ago) @ Murphy

Of course the pooch requires a lot of work, but they payoff is huge.

Also, there are some easy, inexpensive "fixes" for hardening her perimeter, such as motion floods, locking windows, deadbolts, longer lag bolts holding the existing locks more securely in the jambs, etc.

When I lived in L.A. I installed metal security gates over my doors.

I'm not speaking against arming her. I think a woman in her situation would definitely need some professional training, though, to avoid worsening an already bad circumstance.

I always have enjoyed the "trespassers will be shot and eaten"-style signs, but they are somewhat provocative on one hand, and suggest the presence of firearms which may attract the wrong attention.

Thanks for the input friends.

by Murphy @, Tuesday, August 06, 2013, 19:57 (4071 days ago) @ Murphy

I'll be talking with her soon and giving her a few things to think about. One thing that doesn't make it any easier, is she lives 250 miles away.

I'm all for a good 20 Gauge double or pump. The Beretta models had slipped completely by me until I read the thread.

Thanks for your input friends.

Murphy

In a (new) 20-ga Remington 870, I'd be looking at this one

by FOG, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 14:21 (4070 days ago) @ Murphy

IMO, this model is setup 'just right' for home defense: MODEL 870™ EXPRESS® COMPACT JR

[image]

In a (new) .410 double, I'd probably go with a Stogie (or, if money was no object, a CZ/Huglu).

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread