The Ceracoating craze has gone too far.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 21:38 (4078 days ago)

I like to try finding guns from the year I was born. A GB search found this 1969 Colt Commander. Sigh.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=356880174

[image]

by Catoosa, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 22:03 (4078 days ago) @ Andrew

I had to go get my 1966 LW Commander 9mm out of the safe and look at it for a while, just to purge my eyeballs.

I saw something worse at Academy Sports - a Taurus polymer

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 22:14 (4078 days ago) @ Catoosa

Revolver in WHITE with fluorescent green grips! Pull that on a mugger and maybe he'll fall on the ground laughing.

For the fashionable zombie killer

by JohnB @, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 22:24 (4078 days ago) @ stonewalrus

[image]

We had one of those, it didn't last a week. On

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 01:27 (4078 days ago) @ JohnB

the other hand we've had a 15-3 and a 17-3 that have been in the case for over a month now.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Is that a real gun? that's the question I got from my SIL

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 06:03 (4077 days ago) @ JohnB

When she saw my royal blue Keltec 32. I went home and ordered the black grip frame and switched it out! I don't want anyone to doubt whether it is real if I pull it! I also don't want kids to think it is a toy.

Not worse. It, at least, was created that way.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 22:25 (4078 days ago) @ stonewalrus

That poor Commander was subjected to this horrific treatment. The ruination of a classic firearm.

Cerakote has become the new buzz, and it seems like every wannabe gunsmith is getting in on it.

That exists for a reason.

by AaronB, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 11:37 (4077 days ago) @ stonewalrus

On the passenger seat of your car, put the following:

1. a baseball
2. a barbie doll
3. a jump rope
4. a Frisbee, and
5. that pistol.

No mugger or cop in the world would look twice at it. The only way to improve it would be to coat the muzzle orange.

-AaronB

Purge the eyeballs...:-)

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 15:04 (4077 days ago) @ Catoosa

;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

UN-visible

by brionic @, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 22:21 (4078 days ago) @ Andrew

"what pistol?"

by Fowler, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 23:49 (4078 days ago) @ Andrew

My brother has two that are far worse than that one.

1: a Charles Daley 1911 commander that got a black, grey, and white digital camo Ceracoat finish to it. Yea it's a hunk of crap to start with but it deserved better..

2: a USFA 7 1/2" 30 carbine in OD Green! At least it was gift to him and had been a prototype back when USFA was playing with magnums and Ceracoat finishes, still some one should be slapped for doing that to a USFA.

No accounting for taste.

Dagnabbit, I thought it was finally 'OK' to paint yer guns!

by FOG, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 01:37 (4078 days ago) @ Andrew

But I guess if it ain't, I'll probably get over it.

Pretty.P Darn.D Quick.Q :-P

--
[image]

Saw a used Mossberg pump shotgun several years ago

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 05:56 (4077 days ago) @ FOG

At a gunshop that somebody had painted John Deere Green! Camo when you carry it on your tractor?

While I agree with you guys

by SKgrips, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 07:29 (4077 days ago) @ Andrew

on the collector guns, I must admit, I have two Beretta M9's, one in OD green and the other in Desert Tan. They turned out beautiful. I left the controls and barrels black. Ceracoate has its merits and place, just not on classics

+1...

by rob @, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 07:41 (4077 days ago) @ SKgrips

My P226 Elite is the desert tan cerakote with some olive drab green/desert tan looking G-10 grips. I really wanted the plain black Dark Elite but it was during the buying craze when finding a 9mm pistol was like finding a needle in a hay stack. It's not a bad looking gun at all and the finish seems to be holding up well to daily carry and sweat. On classic guns though, nothing is more beautiful than blued steel and beautiful wood and on cerakote guns, zebra stripes and silly colors sorta turn my stomach.

RSS Feed of thread