NW Kans "No Hunting" sign

by Scott Ambler, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 18:34 (4078 days ago)

Been a couple hundred miles north of home visiting with folks. Came across this sigh....couldn't help myself.

[image][image][/URL][/img]

I do love the purple paint law!

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 08:03 (4077 days ago) @ Scott Ambler

Thank goodness it was a K-State grad at the legislature that pushed it through. Hate to think I'd have to paint my corner posts crimson and blue.

Must be an inside...

by FOG, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 09:22 (4077 days ago) @ Wildcat

Yoke?

[image]

--
[image]

The purple paint law...a short history.

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 09:56 (4077 days ago) @ FOG

Back in the '90s, somebody in the Kansas legislature apparently got tired of having his "No Hunting", "No fishing" and "No Trespassing" signs shot up, stolen or simply torn down.

Accordingly, legislation was passed authorizing landowners to simply put purple paint on the corner posts of the property. The presence of that paint requires anyone other than the landowner, who is hunting, fishing or present on the property, to have in their possession, written permission to do whatever activity they are doing, signed by the landowner. If they do not have the requisite documents, they can be charged with criminal trespass, illegal hunting, etc. Its been a real nice way for the State to get extra fine money. When out of staters come up to hunt our great whitetails, we just give them oral permission to hunt any of our ground that we marked with purple paint.:-D

As to the purple color, the color for the Kansas State Wildcats is Royal Purple, thus the supposition that the legislator proposing the law was a good Wildcat. Crimson and blue are the colors for the University of Kansas Jayhawks....most graduates of whom are left leaning democrats who'd rather hug a tree than shoot a ringneck or whitetail anyway.

OK . . . gotta ask . . .

by Kentucky, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 10:51 (4077 days ago) @ Wildcat

When you see a purple post which is allegedly a "corner post", how do you know which property is the "posted" one since it's a post essentially shared by all the adjacent properties?? A "common" post, as it were.

OK . . . gotta ask . . .

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 11:13 (4077 days ago) @ Kentucky

Most corner posts are bounded by roads around here. If the tract is less than a section, then the guy wanting to get on it had better start knocking on doors to find out.

OK . . . gotta ask . . .

by Jhenry, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 16:15 (4077 days ago) @ Wildcat

We use the same purple paint here in Missouri.

There was a time, don't know if still legit, that

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 21:46 (4077 days ago) @ Jhenry

we used silver or aluminum paint every so often down the property line.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

The purple paint law...a short history.

by woody, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 13:53 (4076 days ago) @ Wildcat

Everytime I go to Kansas turkey hunting the owners laugh when they say we better give them written permission so they don't get a ticket. They always tell us to say we are family.

RSS Feed of thread