VALUE?? of a Colt gubmit 1911 slide

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Monday, July 29, 2013, 21:29 (4079 days ago)

So I came into this 1911 with a Colt military slide and have realized for my use John M made one mistake on this pistola and that is that tiny bump of a front sight.

I need more of a sight than that. He wants a pristine slide.

What is the value of that slide. I am talking cash or trade.

I really prefer he find a slide with more modern sights and we trade. If I have to sell it, what would fair market price. Then where do I go to find a slide to shoot casual "plinking" and hopefully some local IDPA (just for practice with a clock adding some stress to the shooting).

Fair for both, but I need a slide to put back on the gun in the end.

You want to buy a new slide because the sights are too low?

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 01:08 (4079 days ago) @ RidinLou

Get new sights! Any half assed smith with a mill and a cutter and do that.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Your slide might be 'valuable'

by FOG, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 03:50 (4079 days ago) @ RidinLou

Slide Stuff

A quick survey of GunBroker suggests an actual USGI Colt-marked slide might bring as much as $400, even if not 'pristine'.

A 'Colt' NM-type slide, maybe a bit less ($300?).

And just for comparison, a stainless Series 80 slide, around $200.

Big Fix

New sights? Including skilled, reputable gunsmithing/machining, probably around $200 or a bit more, once all is said and done.

Little Fix

Testor's-brand Flat White scale-modeler's enamel (or a touch-up bottle of 'refrigerator paint')? Less than $5... ;-)

--
[image]

Another idea

by FOG, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 04:14 (4079 days ago) @ RidinLou

Several companies make front shotgun sights of various configurations, all of which are intended to be basically glued on top of an existing bead.

One such firm is XS Sight Systems, makers of the (in)famous 'Big Dot', whose products are available at Brownells.

Looking at the pic, it appears the 'Plain Barrel' version on the right might be adaptable to a 1911 slide with a tiny front sight (particularly if made 'tinier' with some careful file work).

[image]

Of course, you'd need to either modify your rear sight, or get another one more compatible with the 'Big Dot'.

The good news is, Brownells (and/or XS Sight Systems) have a few of those as well − and some of them are actually made for the 1911. :-D

HTH :-)

--
[image]

VALUE?? of a Colt gubmit 1911 slide

by Catoosa, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 10:34 (4078 days ago) @ RidinLou

Louis, tell me about your 1911. If it is in original condition and reasonably good shape, you do NOT want to separate the original slide and frame. Once you do that, you have turned a $800 - $1000 gun into a $400 "parts gun". Plus, depending on the vintage, it may take considerable gunsmithing to fit the slide to the frame and get it to work right.

It's no biggie to improve the sights on a 1911. I've got a Combat Commander with faded-out Wilson night sights that I did a little paint job on, and they work great even with my lousy eyes.

Bring your gun up here to my place sometime and let's see what we can do with it.

I think it's already a parts gun conglomerated together

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 12:47 (4078 days ago) @ Catoosa

Which is why keeping the slide isn't high on his priority list. We need to get together for a Shagbark Hill shoot this fall.

Shagbark Hill Shoot

by Catoosa, Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 21:08 (4078 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I SAY! CAPITAL IDEA, OLD CHAP!

My range needs a new coat of brass.

Shagbark Hill Shoot

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Sunday, August 04, 2013, 08:50 (4073 days ago) @ Catoosa

Brass . . .

You know mostly lead coming out the front and yeah these newfangled autoloaders sling brass everywhere.

No wonder there is a brass shortage, folks shoot and can't find half of the brass.

One is just sposed to push the ejector rod and catch the empties in the off hand!

I think it's already a parts gun conglomerated together

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 19:08 (4076 days ago) @ stonewalrus
edited by RidinLou, Thursday, August 01, 2013, 20:00

Rob Gordon et al

What StoneWalrus said.

A friend wants the government slide and if I can help it I am not going to whack up a government slide to get different, bigger front sight.
It probably as a few round thru it before I got it and I have about 50-75 and mostly cast.

He and I just need to come to a fair trade agreement (It's Joel, Catoosa).

RSS Feed of thread