Series 70...in a different light

by FOG, Monday, July 15, 2013, 16:18 (4093 days ago)

AKA, The *Other* Side [image]

[image]
Custom Government Model by Austin Behlert (Behlert 'Signature' Magazine Release; '150th Anniversary' Grips by Colt)

--
[image]

A bit of 'background' (FYI)

by FOG, Monday, July 15, 2013, 19:53 (4093 days ago) @ FOG

I bought the pistol several years ago from Gary at R&G Firearms.

Gary collects Behlerts.

When I got it from him, my Series 70 looked like this:

[image]

I kept all the 'original' parts, of course. ;-)

FYI, my transaction with Gary was also perfectly seamless. [image]

--
[image]

by Murphy @, Monday, July 15, 2013, 23:57 (4093 days ago) @ FOG

That can give a feller a hankerin'. I remember well my first 1911. Unfortunately, it was a Series 80...wait, what am I saying? Nothing unfortunate about that now that I think about it.

I believe to good ole' 1911 has had more customizing, tweaking, experimenting and whatever one wishes to call it done to it more than any other handgun ever.

My first one came along in about 1991. I of course had to send it off to have better sights, trigger job, extended trigger, extended thumb release and a beavertail grip safety put on it. Oh, I forgot the extended ejector as well. I had the work done by a gentleman in Belle Fourche, South Dakota. For the life of me, I can't recall his name. Looking back, the gentleman sure knew what he was doing when he tuned it up. I'd placed an order for 6 Metalform magazines and had them waiting when it returned.

I had exactly one failure to eject, and that was the one and only time it ever failed me. Then again, it was my own doing that created the problem. I was shooting 200 Gr SWC lead bullets lubed with a hard, blue wax. While I was already use to field stripping and cleaning the 1911, I had no further knowledge about it. Burnt lube had found its way back behind the extractor and forced it outwards, causing it to malfunction. After a thorough cleaning, I never had another issue with that gun.

Due to financial issues, I had to part with it down the line. I sure have missed that gun.

I've often wondered, what would JMB think of his 1911 today if he could only see the vast array of configurations and alterations it has undergone?

Murphy

Here's a decent one for those who want to start out 'fresh'

by FOG, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 02:12 (4093 days ago) @ FOG
edited by FOG, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 05:25

[SPG Edit]

[image]

Colt Combat Government MK IV Series 70 1911 .45 @ GunBroker

[image]

Maybe the grass really *is* greener on the other side. :-D

Ya'll in TX certainly seem to have a pretty 'fair share' of the good stuff! [image]

--
[image]

by FOG, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 03:12 (4093 days ago) @ Murphy

The extent of the aftermarket for a given product is sometimes an indication of its excellence.

In some sense, this almost seems counter-intuitive: After all, if it's so great, why does it need fixing?

To the hobbyist, the obvious answer is, 'That's just it: It doesn't.' :-D

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread