Anyone have a Blackhawk parts kit laying around?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, July 15, 2013, 14:31 (4093 days ago)

A Buddy bought a converted 3-screw .41 Mag and might be interested in restoring it. I'd appreciate any leads.

Thank you!

Hey Hoot , what's he looking for exactly.....

by Ron Brown ( blue ), Monday, July 15, 2013, 15:32 (4093 days ago) @ Hoot

I have a parts box with a few things in it ,

Thanks Ron...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 07:39 (4093 days ago) @ Ron Brown ( blue )

The gun is not yet in hand but I expect he'll need the hammer, trigger, cylinder latch, cylinder latch spring, pawl/hand, base pin and, umm, that one other spring...loading gate plunger? (All from memory so it's likely flawed).

Of those parts, the hammer, pawl and cylinder latch are probably the most important. The conversion trigger can be modified to remove the transfer bar 'leg', the conversion base pin will work as is and I never understood why the springs needed replacing.

Thanks Bud!

Sorry, but no luck here

by FOG, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 02:33 (4093 days ago) @ Hoot

The Ruger Forum would seem to be the 'best' bet, with OM Parts Kits selling there for around $150 or so. When they show up, that is, which doesn't appear to be very often. Future prices might also be higher.

Even if prices stay around $150, that much cash would seem to 'lower' the stakes on buying an Old Model .357 'just' for the parts, swapping them out with the NM parts in the .41, and selling the now-converted .357.

I suppose whether it's worth it depends on the condition, etc. of the .41. I only toss it out there because I'm pretty sure there are a lot more OM .357s around, and such a 'swap' might well be worthwhile.

Besides condition, it would probably be 'better' if the .41 has the 4⅝" barrel; that barrel length seems to command more than the 6½". Of course, that could change just about anytime, too.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

Thank you Sir!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 07:49 (4093 days ago) @ FOG

Back when I thought I was going to collect Rugers, I used to hang out there a lot. There's a coupla folks who drop in here that are bona fide Ruger collectors and I was kinda hoping one would have a lead. If memory serves (and don't take that bet), the .357 is the smaller frame while the .41 is the larger. I **think** the hammer height is the only difference in the parts.

As for buying a 'donor gun' and swapping parts, the .41 he bought IS the donor gun. :-P And it is the 4-5/8 barrel so I am slightly jealous...

Thanks again!

Yer welcome, +1 back at'cha

by FOG, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 08:00 (4093 days ago) @ Hoot

I didn't know the .41 frame or hammer was different, so I guess it's true: You learn something new every day.

Thanks! :-)

--
[image]

Another option

by FOG, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 06:16 (4093 days ago) @ Hoot

Sell the converted .41 and buy this one.

HTH [image]

--
[image]

HAH!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 07:54 (4093 days ago) @ FOG

Both of us are dyed in the wool cheap so-and-so's but I did see that when I was checking out some others. The OM .41 is the only caliber I don't yet have. One will turn up sooner or later.

Look at it this way...

by FOG, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 08:02 (4093 days ago) @ Hoot

It's 'only' money. :-D

--
[image]

41 is a large frame and hammer is different from 357

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 13:14 (4093 days ago) @ FOG

nm

41 is a large frame and hammer is different from 357

by FOG, Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 13:38 (4092 days ago) @ Cherokee

Say again? [image]

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread