Browning Double Auto?

by brionic @, Sunday, July 14, 2013, 20:51 (4094 days ago)

Anyone know anything substantive about them?

I want to bird hunt over our Brittany this year, and I'm not feeling the old Ted Williams with polychoke.

I'm looking at a Twentyweight, for easier carry. Considering a) the depleted pheasant population and b) my lack of any recognizable "skill", I think I'll be carrying a LOT and shooting very little.

Any info appreciated. I'm looking at a moderately priced example.

All I know is that they are NICE! I only shot one

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, July 14, 2013, 22:30 (4094 days ago) @ brionic

gun about 4 or 6 times (I remember reloading it a couple of times). The others I've handled were all the usual Browning quality.

PS - wish we had birds to hunt. No quail, grouse, no fields over which to hunt mourning dove, and so forth and so on. No dog either. Thinking of going some place and PAYING for a hunt.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Rob Applegate told me.....

by Otony, Sunday, July 14, 2013, 23:33 (4094 days ago) @ brionic

.......that those were very load specific. So much so that the ones he had experience with operated well only with a narrow range of pellet weight/velocity.

I have fondled a few over the years, but his advice always is in the back of my mind.

Why don't you look for a nice Ithaca 37 Featherlight? We have a clean 1960 in the shop that would fit your needs nicely. For that matter, there are lots of 'em on GB.

Otony

Do it!!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, July 15, 2013, 03:42 (4094 days ago) @ Hobie

It's worth the money!! My English setter, Skeeter, is a meathead, but a pretty danged good bird dog! We don't have a lot of birds around here, mainly quail and migratory woodcock, but I love to bird hunt! Just watching the dogs do their work and getting an occasional covey is worth the long drives and hard walking. I absolutely love it!! Skeeters almost seven and I need to start looking for a pup. I don't see myself without a bird dog, ever!!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, July 15, 2013, 03:51 (4094 days ago) @ Otony

Tony,
What is the shop asking or the Ithaca? I carry an old Imrpoved Cylinder 16 ga 37 from the 50's in the field. I have killed grouse, woodcock, chuckars, pheasant, and a few unlucky rabbits with it! I believe it's the perfect field gun for me. Number one; I can hit well with it!! Also, it's light enough to carry around all day and not get weighed down like so many guns out there. Also, it's got enough wear that it won't hurt it (or me) to actually use it. I can use it to push brush out of my way and if the dog screws up, I can dump it in the grass and go 'correct' him. My brother hunts with a Franchi O/U. It's beutiful, but he's ad raid to hurt it and the thing weighs a ton!!

I'm always on the lookout for a good 37. Plus, I've got a five year old who's a lefty, so a spare would come in handy one of these days!

by uncowboy, Monday, July 15, 2013, 05:42 (4094 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I had one and it was a great gun. Quality and accurate also easy carry. I have two chokes around for the cuts comp version if you need them I will dig them up.J.Michael

by Otony, Monday, July 15, 2013, 07:12 (4094 days ago) @ Slow Hand

1-2-3 Pawn in Walla Walla. The owner is Lee Zimmerman. We open at 9:00, give me a call there, 509-529-7296.

Otony

Browning Double Auto?

by Gary G, Monday, July 15, 2013, 20:03 (4093 days ago) @ brionic

I think you will enjoy it. Light, Dependable, easy to carry, and fits most people. If you do not like it not to hard to get your money back in my experience.

My Grandfather had one...

by Brian A, Monday, July 15, 2013, 23:42 (4093 days ago) @ brionic

And if it is an example of all of them, they are great guns. It digested everything fed to it without issue, carried very well, and it fit me better than most shotguns, so I hit with it extremely well, and recoiled quite softly due to way they function. They take a little getting used to, with the auto-loading of the first round fed into the magazine and the safety which only blocks movement of the trigger in the trigger guard. The auto-loading feature makes them very fast to feed and keep shooting, which is why my Grandfather acquired it, he liked it for hunting doves where he could keep firing as fast as he could stuff shells into it through the loading port on the left side of the action.

RSS Feed of thread