Old custom 1911 question.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Saturday, July 13, 2013, 11:12 (4096 days ago)

So I came across a 1950 Gov't model that has had some custom work done to it, and it looks like it was done many years ago. It has a King barrel bushing, a NM barrel, patridge front and revolver style adjustable rear sights, and a very slick action. It has been reblued, but not too rounded off. There is some evidence of pitting on the slide that the reblue covered.

Is $629.00 + tax too high for what appears to be a good shooter? It will probably become trade stock, but I don't want to be buried in it.

Details

by JLF @, Saturday, July 13, 2013, 12:25 (4096 days ago) @ Andrew

That is a tough market to appraise. The gun you describe could be $450, or $1100.:-| It all depends on how the gun shows, and the quality of the work. Look for a builder's name first, the center lug of the slide is a favorite place. If it's a known builder from the old days, you hit paydirt. If the rear sight is a dovetail replacement, that hurts it, if it's finely built into the slide with good machine work, that's a real plus. Unaltered grip straps are good, punched, gouged, and whittled grip straps are awful, and finely checkered grip straps are the best.

JLF

Dice roll

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Saturday, July 13, 2013, 12:43 (4096 days ago) @ JLF

I'm going back up to look at it, probably put it on law-away. The rear sight is machined into the slide from the ejection port back, the front sight is pinned. I'll see if they will let me pop off the slide. I was hoping for an old King gun, but there is no crown on the slide. Front and rear straps are clean, the grips are pimpy pearls.

S&W?

by JLF @, Saturday, July 13, 2013, 19:06 (4095 days ago) @ Andrew

The sights sound like S&W revolver sights adapted to the slide. When the job is well done, I am an absolute sucker for it, probably the last such person left alive. My keeper Hi-Power has S&W sights.

One legendary builder was known for his preference for the sights on his 45s. The name you want to look for is "F. Bob Chow". If you find it, you will easily double your money and then some.:-D

JLF

Nope. I could spot a S&W sight drunk with one eye.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Saturday, July 13, 2013, 19:29 (4095 days ago) @ JLF

There were no markings on the underside of the slide. I'll let someone else have at it. They wouldn't come off more than $20 since it had only been out 3 days.

I'm thinking that I am going to pass on this one.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Saturday, July 13, 2013, 13:44 (4095 days ago) @ Andrew

The barrel bushing was a bit hacked up on the lug, and the rifling is very very shallow. If it is there in a week, I may change my mind though.

BTDT

by FOG, Saturday, July 13, 2013, 14:03 (4095 days ago) @ Andrew

In 2000, I bought a Dinan-built bullseye gun based on a '53 Government Model. It was nice enough, although a bit worn, but the 'ringer' was it shot high for me. I found it very difficult to dispose of and definitely lost money on it.

A few years ago, I found a like-new-in-bag, fully-documented, Nastoff-built Combat Commander at what I thought was very good price, but now I feel stuck with that.

I also have a Behlert-built carry gun based on a Series 70. I like that one just fine, but I've put a lot of blue wear on it, so I'm pretty sure I would lose money on it if I tried to sell it.

Possible food for thought...

--
[image]

Old custom 1911 question.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, July 13, 2013, 16:54 (4095 days ago) @ Andrew

My experience is that old 1911 customs are hard to resell for more than a good shooter, unless a really big name and in great condition.

I have to preface my comments with "around here"

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, July 13, 2013, 18:38 (4095 days ago) @ Andrew

but generally a custom gun isn't appreciated in the gun shops. If you know people, as we do, and you are right about a "name" smith's work on the gun and the finish is good then you might be fine with it. However, any but a "name" smith or lacking some of the bells and whistles or a worn finish and it is JUST a used gun to 99% of our clientele.

The thing is, again "around here", that while there are 1911 guys still in the game, they are fewer, have most of the guns they "need" already, and might be prioritizing money for ammo and/or reloading components. A lot of people who will buy "old fashioned" 1911s are buying guns priced competitively with the Glocks, XD, M&P and so forth.

Then again, if you put that same gun on GunBroker and are willing to wait through 3 or 4 cycles for a reasonable price you're likely to be able to sell it at a reasonable price (maybe in the first go but maybe not).

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread