Hey Otony: about your Holland's Super 30

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 21:27 (4098 days ago)

Which flavour is yours? I have one in a No. 1S Ruger and it's flat out classy (if I may brag a bit). Care to share any load data?

Thanks!

Hey Otony: about your Holland's Super 30

by Otony, Friday, July 12, 2013, 10:00 (4097 days ago) @ Hoot

Dang it, I had a long message about this and the darned iPad lost the connection. Is that the Internet equivalent of the dog ate my homework?

Anyway, my .300 is also a Ruger 1-S, in this case a Boddington version with the Circassian walnut, upgraded sights etc. I have not shot it much at all, and what I've used has been strictly factory ammunition until now, Federal 180 grain. The reason is for not working with it much is varied, but in the main laziness and neglect.

It is wearing a Weaver V3 as sort of a placeholder until I find a more suitable scope. And until a better scope is found, I'm not fooling with it too much. I'm a bit fixated on playing with 1911s at the moment, so that is where my attention lies. As well, I have an unusual opinion regarding Number Ones. I feel strongly that the Farquharson styling should wear a scope with a straight objective tube, no bell at the end.

Of course Holland's Super 30 has "legs", and deserves a higher powered scope than you will typically find in a straight tubed scope. So I'm trying to find a compromise, a scope that is at least 4 or 5 powered with a straight tube and that is of suitable quality to match the rifle. Fortunately, with all the interest in tactical scopes for ARs nowadays, there are quite a few to choose from, so it will probably end up wearing one of the Nikon African series. I also need to investigate some of Leupold's similar offerings. The V3 will go back to being used on one of my Marlin thutty-thutty rifles at that point.

Right now most of my .30 caliber shooting is done with either an '06 or .308, and not much of those either. The kids are still small, so we are pretty fixated on air rifles, rimfires, and the occasional .223 round. Once they get a bit older, and start to shoot their .243s, I will probably focus more on my .30s, but other than shooting ARs, almost all my rifle work is as described above, along with .357 carbines.

Seems as though I shoot more pistols and shotguns than anything else these days.

Otony

Thank you Sir.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, July 15, 2013, 07:00 (4094 days ago) @ Otony

Those Boddington's are nice. Mine is the more 'pedestrian' version. Curious to know what are the sight upgrades? I guess I did not note them. Mine wears a VX-III 2.5-8; which unfortunately (for your tastes ;-) ) has an objective bell. I understand that look though. I have been picking up Mausers and Enfields from the '50's and '60's and then matching them up with period scopes, favoring old Weaver K2.5's and K3's along with Lyman's of similar powers.

Thanks again.

RSS Feed of thread