Pocket Expansion

by Scott Ambler, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 17:54 (4098 days ago)

This 642-2's front sight likes 125's around 850fps. Pictured bullets are Montana Gold 125 JHP. Shot into that box full of sand, 10 yards away, at a average of 847 fps. I just bought the Montana bullets as they were all I could find. No expansion, what would? XTP's?

[image]

Pocket Expansion

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 18:12 (4098 days ago) @ Scott Ambler

My 442 shoots well with my Keith hollow points. Not sure of the velocity, but they shoot well, recoil isn't too bad and they opened up pretty well in water jugs.

[image]

[image]

Slow bullets; go with LHPs

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, July 11, 2013, 10:42 (4098 days ago) @ Slow Hand

hard to beat the record for the +P 158LSWHP made by just about everybody. Buffalo bore makes a good load for this bullet.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I imagine a lot of bullets would fail the 'Sand Test'

by FOG, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 19:14 (4098 days ago) @ Scott Ambler

Putting cardboard in front of it most likely doesn't 'help', and the chances of plugging the HP probably expand accordingly. (Pun intended − LOL)

The 'Water Test' presents a different challenge. It's actually a pretty 'hard' target (assuming the volume is sufficient), and most expanding bullets will show 'dramatic' results in water (assuming sufficient velocity).

In snub .38s, I prefer the 'Chicago Load' (AKA, 'FBI Load'), which of course is a 158-gr LSWCHP driven to +P velocity.

In the past, I have primarily used Federal-brand, but I now use Buffalo Bore (standard pressure). The Buffalo Bore version is gas-checked to minimize leading and otherwise "very soft" to promote expansion.

I don't have the facilites to properly test its performance, but the 'street record' of this type of load is pretty well established, and Buffalo Bore has a reputation for producing quality ammunition.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

by Scott Ambler, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 19:35 (4098 days ago) @ FOG

I'm with ya. FBI loads are the way to go. This particular snub throws them about 5 inches high at 10 yards. A possible moot point, but, I like it shooting to the tip of the front sight.

by lee jurras @, hagerman,NM, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 21:41 (4098 days ago) @ Scott Ambler

Go with what YOU feel comfortable with, based on your own tests, Me,. I have my own personal feelings and can ague them till the cows come home, but YOU will not be happy until you make up your own mind.I have tested bullets too numerous to mention in all types of game under varying field and weather conditions with varying velocities based on distance and or bbl lengths, as well as various mediums from dirt, clay, water, ivory snow flakes, Ballistics gelatin, and Duxseal as well Auto glass at varying angles Automobile skin also . You name it I've shot at it at varying angles, tires, in both truck and cars. Ricochets from varying angles of Brick, plaster, asphalt, and plaster.
You will not be comfortable until you decide based on your findings. My personal carry, 44 Mag, 250 cast gr. bullet @ 1050-1100 fps.:-P

Long shot, but might be worth trying

by FOG, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 21:48 (4098 days ago) @ Scott Ambler

In the past, I have found the color of the sights (especially the front sight) can affect POI relative to POA, and the cheapest way to test the 'theory' is to paint them.

I recently had trouble finding it, but Testor's-brand scale-model paint is still available, and it's a very fine enamel that comes in small bottles priced inexpensively.

On a 'white' gun like your 642-2, I would probably try a dark color first, possibly flat black, for better 'contrast'.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

Long shot, but might be worth trying

by lee jurras @, hagerman,NM, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 22:04 (4098 days ago) @ FOG

The only time I ever really look at the front sight is on a long shot. I like red inserts, but I don't ever remember seeing a red sight, but I have been able to see my gold bar when shooting 200 yds. plus. But its usually black regardless of color.
Others might see differently, but WHO looks at front sights on a 2" 38? My guess when really needed you would never look at the front sight. FWIW dept. :-P

You probably have a 'point' there (LOL)

by FOG, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 22:28 (4098 days ago) @ lee jurras

:-D

--
[image]

'Sublime' J-frame Front Sight Picture

by FOG, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 22:36 (4098 days ago) @ Scott Ambler

It sure is odd what digital cameras do with colors sometimes... :eyepopping:

[image]

I filled the grooves on this stainless J-frame front sight with Testor's Flat Black Enamel around 1994 or so, carried the gun all over, sweat on it, etc., and the 'paint job' is still holding.

It doesn't work in 'all' light conditions, but then, no sights do.

--
[image]

Pocket Expansion

by Jared, Wednesday, July 10, 2013, 23:47 (4098 days ago) @ Scott Ambler

The best low velocity expanding bullets I have tried are Speer Gold Dots. I know they make a 135 gr specifically for low velocity .38s and they may make a 125gr too. I have shot a lot of bullets into water and various other things over the years and The Gold Dots are the most consistent across the board that I have tired.

My 442 shoots a Keith HP on top of the sight and a couple of inches left at 25 yards. So that is what I carry. I am pushing them to just over 900 FPS and they open great. If I had to go lighter the GDs would get the nod.

I shot a small deer with a .45 ACP 230gr GD at just over 900 FPS out of a Les Baer. I would have swore the hole was made with a high power rifle, I was really impressed.

RSS Feed of thread