…a friend to all dogs and small boys (???Help???)

by cas, Monday, July 08, 2013, 20:05 (4100 days ago)

I'm racking my brain trying to blow out the cobwebs trying to remember the exact quote, where it's from and who wrote it. :-|

by Gary G, Monday, July 08, 2013, 20:23 (4100 days ago) @ cas

It is from Hell I was there,

It is the epitaph Mr Keith wrote of his police officer friend when he was a teenager in Montana. Both suffered from the Flu Epidemic of the 1915 or so. They were in the hospital and the law enforcement officer did not make.

This is not all, but I remember a little more.

So there lies _____________ ____________ a man without fear, A great foe of doers of evil deeds. And a Great Friend to young kids(boys) and stray dogs.

I think of this often, And I am sorry I do not remember it totally including the officers name. 100 years later and it is a compliment of the mans life.

I've been sitting here going….

by cas, Monday, July 08, 2013, 20:33 (4100 days ago) @ Gary G

Ruark? Capstick? Skelton? …I know it's somewhere on my book shelf.

by Catoosa, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 10:33 (4100 days ago) @ cas

Bill O'Connel was Elmer's friend's name. Dont recall if the mention was also in "Hell, I Was There" as well, but it is in "Sixguns" on page 181.

"I once had a cop friend in Helena, Montana, named Bill O'Connel. He was half Blackfoot Indian, a tall powerful man weighing over 200 pounds, over six feet in heighth, straight as an arrow and the best gun fighter on the city police force."

" Bill O'Connel died in the Helena Hospital from flu and pneumonia , while I was flat on my back on another cot, downed by the same ailments.------So died Bill O'Connel, a man without fear, a terror to evil doers and a friend of lost dogs, stray kids and everyone in trouble or need of help."

I had a great uncle who was a city cop in a tough coal town

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, July 09, 2013, 13:09 (4100 days ago) @ Catoosa

In Illinois who would fit that description pretty well. He turned several delinquent kids lives around. He was well over 6 ft tall and I don't think he ever had to shoot anybody but he was a reknowned pistol shot and nobody messed with him. Fine old gentleman who served in WWI.

RSS Feed of thread