Walter Tardy's Sword

by Steve @, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 19:47 (4101 days ago)

My son is Walter Tardy's Great great grandson and Juggy Nelson's Great great nephew. I was enlisted USN. I would really like this treasure for him. I saw in an earlier post trhat my wife's cousin made an inquiry, before I go to her directly I was wondering if anyone knew of the sword and its current location. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Middle initial "B" by chance?

by FOG, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 19:57 (4101 days ago) @ Steve

(From the 'old' board)

Charles
Walter B. Tardy's sword
Tue Dec 1, 2009
23:18
<SNIP ~ IP Address>

In 1994 while walking the floor of a gun show in Deming New Mexico, I saw what I took to be a U.S. Naval Officers sword of some age. A deal was struck and it was mine.

At home, a close inspection showed it was etched and presented to Naval Cadet Walter Benjamin Tardy for exception merit in athletics (1898).

I picked up the phone and called the historian at the United States Naval Academy and she send me a large envelope full of informatin about the gent. He was the Captain of the football team at the Naval Academy in 1898 and this sword was presented to him by what might be called the "boosters club" She send me sevral photos of him, his serviced record and class standings.

Since that time I have poked into this fellows history and as more information came on line, my body of information about WAlter Tardy increased.

Today I found an article about his wedding. He was married in 1902 to Florence Nelson the daughter of Commander Thomas U.S.N, and they were married in the chapel at the Navel Academy in Annapolis. I have been there and it is a truly beautiful building.

The article also said he was the first U.S. Naval Officer to enter Peking at the end of the seige in 1900.

His records show that at that time he was stationed about the Cruiser USS Brooklyn (AC-3) which was the flagship of the Asiatic Squadron and participated in the North China Relief Expedition.

I think there was a strong chance this sword entered Peking on the side of Ensign Walter B Tardy as the eight powers came to the rescue of the folks traped by the Boxers.

Tardy suffered an injury in the Navy was retired to Annapolis in 1919. He died there in 1932 and was survived by his daughter Florence.

I have ran most of the geneological resources looking for family of this man. I would bet some of them would like to have the sword back. [Emphasis Added]

Interesting... ;-)

--
[image]

by Steve, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 20:24 (4101 days ago) @ FOG

That is the man. His brother-in-law was ADM Juggy Nelson and a young WF Halsey Jr. was in his wedding party in 1902. He was my mother-in-law's maternal grandfather.

by FOG, Monday, July 08, 2013, 04:46 (4101 days ago) @ Steve

Here's hoping things work out for the best. :-)

--
[image]

Walter Tardy's Sword

by Charles, Monday, July 08, 2013, 09:58 (4101 days ago) @ Steve
edited by Charles, Monday, July 08, 2013, 10:51

Yes, I have the sword, along with his service record. In his Senior Year at the Naval Academy he was presented this sword as the outstanding Naval Cadet athlete. He was Captain of the football team that year. If I remember right that was about 1898 or 99.

I offered it to the woman a couple of years ago for what I had in it, and she indicated an interest, but never got around to coming up with the money and after a time I grew tired of the game. The dance went on for several months with her wanting to contact other family members, which as far as can deduce, she never did. It became clear, she was not serious about getting the sword back. I withdrew the offer and decided just to hang on to it and pass it on to my son. He has an interest in history and would appreciate the history and pass it on to his son.

I do want some evidence that the person who gets it is family of Walter Tardy. It has substantial collector's value due to his involvement in the Boxer affair in China and don't want some collector getting it below it's full value by claiming to be family.

I bought this 19 years ago at a gun show in Deming New Mexico. How it came to be there, I have no idea.

I have purchased three US military inscribed swords over the years and have returned all but this one to the family. I will do the same for this one. I don't think these things should have every left the family.

You can still have it for what I paid for it, but I will add some extra for inflation and the frustration of trying to deal with your female relative. She really did irritate me! I don't mind helping families get their heirlooms back, but I do expect folks to do what they say in a timely manner. I came away with the notion she was trying to get me to reduce the price, which was not and is not going to happen. I am a grumpy sort as folks on this board will attest.

I bought the sword at market price for an inscribed US Military sword without provenance. I enjoy military history and thought I might come up with the original owner and perhaps some historical connection. With that in hand, the value would double or even triple. I did the research and did in fact come up with a very good provenance. This increased the value significantly, but I am not a dealer who buys and sells things. I am just a guy who like swords, guns and history, but does not want to spend money unless there is a good chance of getting the money back, if the wolf comes to my door. There is no wolf at the present time at my door.

Walter Tardy's Sword

by Steve, Monday, July 08, 2013, 11:27 (4100 days ago) @ Charles

Of course we would love the sword, but I appreciate the amount of time you have put into the research of Walter Tardy. I understand completely if you want to hold on to it. I would really like a photo of the sword, and if at anytime you would like to sell the sword please let us know. Walkerstephenj@gmail.com

Walter Tardy's Sword

by Charles, Monday, July 08, 2013, 12:18 (4100 days ago) @ Steve

I will send pics and price.

RSS Feed of thread