Pocket Carry: My *Brief* Experience

by FOG, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 04:55 (4102 days ago)

• Pockets collect CRUD

• Auto pistols make pockets look like posers

• 'Wallet' carry can get you cornered − Especially when the gun pops up like a piece of toast :eyepopping:

• Pocket holsters make fine slip covers

• I never pocket-carried a wheelgun :-D

--
[image]

The Pocket Carry *Reload*

by FOG, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 05:28 (4102 days ago) @ FOG

While it's true I don't get out as much as I used to, I have been pocket-carrying my J-frame reload longer than I care to admit.

Certainly *a lot* longer than the Shoot-'Em-Up-Every-Fill-In-The-Blank-Time-Period people would approve of. [image]

Anyhow, I just went and dug 'em out of said pocket for 'inspection'.

The shells, I mean. :-D

[image]
[image]

Not sure, but I'd say that's a 'tolerable' amount of crud.

I bet they'll go BANG, too. ;-)

So, what's my 'secret'?

It's the *ONLY* thing I carry in that pocket...

HTH :-)

--
[image]

The Pocket Carry *Reload*

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 08:21 (4102 days ago) @ FOG

Why only four? I'm assuming its 'easier' to reload? I doubt it's much if any slower than loading all six spots in the speed strip and your giving 33% of your spare ammo.

I carry a speed strip of Golden Sabers and they stay clean in my back hip pocket. I like the speed strip because it rides nice and flat in the back.

Why 'only' four?

by FOG, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 08:37 (4102 days ago) @ Slow Hand

First of all, I hope to never have to shoot, much less reload, but I figure on being in a hurry if I do.

I also figure two is better than none.

Four (or five, or six...) would be even better, of course, but I think the advantages outweigh the potential disdvantages in this case (the idea being to get *some* rounds in the gun ASAP − literally).

Considering how a Speed Strip actually works, this seems like a sound approach to the problem.

If there's time for more, fine; however, I wouldn't count on it. (So to speak...)

IMO, the only thing 'better' is a good Speed-Loader − Or a 'NY Reload'. ;-)

--
[image]

I have used speed strips for years I would NEVER carry them

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 12:04 (4102 days ago) @ FOG

that way. 5 or six works great with a little practice.
and yes, a dedicated pocket for gun or ammo if the pocket is being used.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Suffice to say, we all have different needs

by FOG, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 12:27 (4102 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

And 'my way' meets mine just fine. :-D

Of course, YMMV ;-)

Bonus Track!

My Way - Sid Vicious

WARNING! 'Adult' lyrics! (So to speak − LOL)

[image]

--
[image]

You mean you don't carry the 8 shot Tuff product ones!?!

by stonewalrus, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 16:05 (4101 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Nm

No, I can't say I do

by FOG, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 16:19 (4101 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Then again, the gun only holds five.

And that's under the 'best' of circumstances. ;-)

--
[image]

I *have* considered the Tuff Products 'n-Shot' Strips

by FOG, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 16:30 (4101 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Where, n = 6, 7, or even 8

But not for 'high-capacity'...

Instead, to have even more to hang onto in a hurry.

Possible 'food for thought'... ;-)

--
[image]

I have the 8 shot ones for my Rossi 357 carbine

by stonewalrus, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 17:16 (4101 days ago) @ FOG

:-D

That'll work

by FOG, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 17:18 (4101 days ago) @ stonewalrus

:-D

--
[image]

Pocket Carry: My *Brief* Experience

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 05:51 (4102 days ago) @ FOG

I have noticed "Pocket carry" at times makes my hips and bones hurt. Cant help to believe it is the metal so close to the bone marrow. My 60 Smith especially does this. But then again the un-holstered guns are probably bearing against an important nerve.

Bob

Putting 'theory' to the test

by FOG, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 11:02 (4102 days ago) @ FOG

All this talk of crud and such got me thinking: Let's just see if my 'stuff' works.

I. Test Conditions

In cases like this, it's always important to state them as clearly as possible, so here goes.

Range: *YES*

Next!

II. Test 'Vehicle'

[image]

Gun: S&W Model 342 'No-Dash'

Primary Load: Buffalo Bore 158 LSWC-HP (5 rounds)
Prior Term Of Service: 2-3 *YEARS*

Reload: Federal 125 Nyclad (4 rounds via Speed Strip)
Prior Term Of Service: Same

III. Test Results

[image]

Enough said. ;-)

--
[image]

I forgot to add

by FOG, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 11:32 (4102 days ago) @ FOG

I think the tiny little dent in the HP of that one Nyclad must have accounted for the 'flyer'...

[image]

--
[image]

Question: What is your secret to keeping a gun

by John K., Sunday, July 07, 2013, 12:01 (4102 days ago) @ FOG

looking brand new after 2-3 years of carry? I've never been able to achieve cosmetic nirvana - heck, in short order I wear all the nubs off the checkering... replaced many, many sets of Pachmayr 1911 grips back in the 80s.

I get asked that a lot

by FOG, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 12:50 (4102 days ago) @ John K.

I'm not sure how to answer it without sounding like a smartass, but since I am one anyways, what the heck. :-D

In all seriousness, I somehow get away with using my 'gear' without it usually showing very much.

Ever. :-)

For example, before I parted with it, I walk-and-stalk-varmint-hunted my Steyr Scout for years − not to mention my .44 Mountain Gun − but if you ever saw it, you simply wouldn't believe me.

Which maybe no one does, I don't know. (I'd take a pic, but just to be clear, I don't have those guns anymore.)

I'll give you another example: I have clothes that are more than 20 years old and still going strong − And I don't have that many clothes! :eyepopping:

The Model 342 does have one thing going for it, though: 'Underwear' doesn't make much 'holster wear'. :-D

100% Cotton [image]

--
[image]

I get asked that a lot

by John K., Monday, July 08, 2013, 13:04 (4101 days ago) @ FOG

I suppose it does depend on the person... my stuff always shows use. Even my S&W 360sc has scuffed and worn factory grips - and I haven't carried it extensively.

As to clothes... no way. They are worn out, gun oil stained, barb wire/briar ripped and my wife won't let me wear them anymore long before 20yrs pass.

There is also the question of picture 'quality'

by FOG, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 12:52 (4102 days ago) @ John K.

Er, lack thereof. ;-)

--
[image]

Pocket Carry: My 30+ years experiance; you have to keep

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 11:25 (4102 days ago) @ FOG

your gun clean. Revolvers take better to pocket carry than most autos.J's work best but a big man with carharts or similar (dockers for those in the corporate world)can carry a Commander sized 1911. I carried a J for most of these last 30 years, but the occasional a Charter Bulldog, Taurus Ultra Light in 45 Colt, LCP, Keltec 32, NAA.22 mag (for lounging around the house) G-27 S&W Shield and currently & for the foreseeable future an XDs.
Always use a pocket holster; It keeps the gun oriented correctly. helps break up the outline, protects the gun and you from the gun. Save wearing out your pants pocket.
Like Bill Jordan taught us, carry on the weak side hand front pocket. You can stand around with your hand in your pocket on your gun looking very innocent, but ready. You have the option to draw with either hand, should the need of the moment dictate you can draw both (Unlikely for me)If you primary carry gun is attacked, drawing the back up on the weak side is a great defense.
Lint WILL fly out of your gun when you shoot, just like with ankle holster carry.
Pocket carry sucks for drawing while seated. I use my primary carry gun for that situation. I used to also carry in an ankle holster and that was also a good position for a seated draw.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread