Working distance for airsoft "sniper" rifle w/ 6 year old?

by stonewalrus, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 16:25 (4104 days ago)

Put a better rear sight on the airsoft which required a taller front. It shoots way high at 10 yards but I have no idea what would be a good distance to work with and set it up for with a 6 year old. I figure accuracy past about 20 yards will be pretty lousy. Any suggestion? You know the silly thing is a fun backyard shooter where the real thing or even a high power pellet rifle is a no no - rotary 4 shot magazine with "shells" you put the pellets in.

I'd start him at 'short range'

by FOG, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 16:47 (4104 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Probably something like 10 or 15 feet.

'Yards' can come later. ;-)

I'd also have a good, solid rest available. It's the easiest way for anyone to shoot, so I wouldn't ask a beginner to start off with anything else.

Regarding the sights, if I was worried about POA/POI, I think I'd fashion targets to match. For example, something in the shape of a hot-air balloon: Aim at the basket to hit the balloon.

Otherwise, I don't think I'd worry about it, and I'd just let 'nature take its course'.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 18:00 (4104 days ago) @ stonewalrus

My son shoots his chipmunk in the back yard using Colibri's sometimes. We normally Put a Target at about 25 feet. I figure it's best to get him hitting first and keep his interest up and work on skills later on he's five right now. I have Lso out empty milk jugs and steel plates. He likes te reactive targets much more; just like dad!

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Saturday, July 06, 2013, 23:04 (4102 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Did you check and see haw far it gets before it starts veering of in an oddball direction?

If you are going to start him off of a bench, then small reactive target at 5-10 Yards ought to work.

Close enough for him to get hits, far enough to make him concentrate. Only testing will prove that distance.

I've got it hitting dead on at 7 yards with some adjustment

by stonewalrus, Sunday, July 07, 2013, 09:04 (4102 days ago) @ RidinLou

Room. I do need to figure out it's practical distance limit but I'll have to thin down the front sight some. Styrofoam cups are great reactive targets. We always have an ammple supply of Sonic cups...

RSS Feed of thread