Set out to do a function check on my P226 today and...

by rob @, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 15:45 (4104 days ago)

As I tried to push the mag release it was no bueno. Rusted solid in less than a month! It took some soaking in Ballistol and the wooden handle of a hammer to persued it. I've flushed it out really good and its working fine. I'll probably shoot it next week and then pull it apart and soak the springs, plunger and catch really well. Moral of the story...check your carry gun if its been a while since you've shot it;) I have never had a mag catch seize from rust before. I have had 1911 plunger tubes get pretty rusty though. Anyhow, food for thought.

yes, every week check , clean lube.

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, July 04, 2013, 17:51 (4104 days ago) @ rob

And every two weeks shoot it!! with the ammo you carry.:usa: :beatdeadhorse:

Rob, give this a try for prevention...

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 19:03 (4104 days ago) @ rob

I've always been a rust magnet for anything I carry. The PPPPPP was no exception. I tried everything folks told me - other than RIG, none of that down here that I could find. But the wax and whatever else they told me. Anyway, when I started using good old ATF thickened up with Lanolin my rust issues ceased, desisted, went away. Automatic Transmission Fluid (I'm sure you've heard of the stuff ;-) ) can be placed in a small jar in a pan of water on the stove top. Bring the water to a simmer then start dropping in pea sized bits of anhydrous lanolin until you've added maybe an ounce of lanolin to two ounces or so of ATF. Let it cool. You'll now have a nice, thick, oil that sticks to the steel. I rub my PPPPPP down every week or so whether it needs it or not. But since I started using this stuff I've not had to do full blown cleaning on it as often as before. The cylinder release button, for example, no longer gets rust under it. I've simply not found anything that will keep rust at bay in our very humid climate like this stuff does.

'Plan B'

by FOG, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 19:15 (4104 days ago) @ Fivegunner

"Why Revolver Beats Auto"

2. Minimum maintenance. This is self-explanatory...

[image]

--
[image]

Looks like a good article...

by rob @, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 19:40 (4104 days ago) @ FOG

I'm gonna read that in about 5 minutes! I tend to agree with the premise. In this day and age I see the benefit of hi-cap mags but its really easy to carry two snub guns. While its uglier than a Glock, the LCR makes a lot of sense.

That's a good idea...

by rob @, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 19:49 (4104 days ago) @ Paul

Transmission fluid is a good rust preventive and the lanolin should help it stay in place. I think I'll look for some lanolin and give it a shot. Since I sweat so much while packing in TX (walking the dogs, working on cars, etc.) I'm tempted to buy a spare mag catch and plunger and sens them to Robar for a black rust proof finish. Then, I can send the set from my 220 in and have them done too and when finished ill have a spare set:)

On another note, we should rename your Pistol Packin Preacher's Perfect Packin Pistol to P6. I'm learning to simplify slowly:)

I've opened up several S&W revolvers in recent years...

by FOG, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 20:26 (4104 days ago) @ rob

Some for a friend, others of my own, including my own Model 638-1 that I carried extensively, and I have yet to find any untoward 'crud' inside a one of them.

No lint, no dead insects, no nothing.

These guns were otherwise properly maintained but had never been detail-stripped or -cleaned.

Actually, none of them really needed it, not even after years of use.

--
[image]

I know a guy who usually carries two J-frames

by FOG, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 20:31 (4104 days ago) @ rob

Sometimes he rolls a J-frame and something else, but it's almost always another snubby (for example, a Ruger SP101).

Like they say, 'Works for him.' ;-)

--
[image]

Probably a good idea to rotate holsters, too

by FOG, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 21:30 (4104 days ago) @ rob

Assuming they're leather, of course: 1 day on, 1 day off to let it air-dry.

Actually, it's a 'good' idea in general. (With blued guns; others less so.)

In an 'extreme' environment, I might even go for three-of-a-kind and give 'em weekends off. ;-)

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread