Independence Day

by Byron, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 11:52 (4105 days ago)

On 24 February 1944 my uncle "Doc" Leclerc's B17 "No Balls At All" was shot down by German ace Heinz Knoke over Haariemmermer Theo Weterings in Holland. He was able to crash land his bomber in a open area in the little village and did not lose any of his crew or injure anyone on the ground.

The Mayor of this Dutch village opened a bike path dedicated to my uncle last May which contains a street sign "Walter LeClercpad".

He spent the next 400+ days as a German POW, came home and farmed outside of Lyons KS. He passed on a couple of years ago at 96.
http://amsterdam.usconsulate.gov/news-events/events-2012/dutch-memorial-day-2012.html

My family was contacted recently by the DOD DNA Registry requesting family DNA in order to ID remains found in the crash site of a Marine Corsair found in the Solomon Islands this year.

Its been 71 years since my uncle Joe disappeared over the jungle.

Freedom's not free.

Byron

Independence Day-Freedom's not free. amen brother.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 12:16 (4105 days ago) @ Byron

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

G*D bless you and yours this Independence Day, Byron

by Otony, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 14:07 (4105 days ago) @ Byron

Thank you for the service your family has provided over the years.

Otony

Independence Day

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 14:11 (4105 days ago) @ Byron
edited by RidinLou, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 14:16

My heartfelt thanks to those that have served in the past and those who serve today protecting us.

"ALL gave some . . .

Some gave ALL!!!

Amen! Freedom isn't Free!

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 14:41 (4105 days ago) @ Byron

Shame many European Countries recognize this much more than many of our own citizens.

Byron you come from good stock

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, July 04, 2013, 14:53 (4105 days ago) @ Byron

God Bless you and your family. someday I hope to meet up with you , and shake your hand . you truly inpress me. :-D :usa:

RSS Feed of thread