Blank canvas, ideas requested.....

by Byron, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 10:50 (4105 days ago)

Even though Rugged Rob got the best of me in a deal over an old worn out Rossi three five seven, I have enjoyed shooting this little carbine and am at a point to maybe tune it up a bit.

It is a pre-safety 20" that has gone quite bright purple on the hammer, mag tube and other small parts. As always, it shoots high with all loads and needs a taller front sight (or lower rear sight).

What to do?

For less than $20.00 and a call to Brownells I can get a lower rear sight to just drift into the dovetail and call it good and try to wear it out.

Or get creative. And there in lies the question.

Should I cut it down to 16" and smooth it up just like my old Daisy Red Rider? Full length with globe front/tang rear? Threaded barrel for a can?

My friend Regan Nonneman is down the road and ready to go to work with anything I want.

Thoughts, please.

Byron

Options

by FOG, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 11:08 (4105 days ago) @ Byron

1) New open rear sight and try to wear it out?

Pretty straightforward, but a receiver sight would have more panache.

2) Cut to 16" and smoothed up like a Daisy?

Trappers are cool, but assuming it's 20", I'd probably leave it alone. Action work is optional.

3) Full length with globe front/tang rear?

Only if it's a 'rifle' (not 'carbine'-style).

4) Threaded barrel for a can?

'Daisy's don't need no stinkin' silencers.' :-D

--
[image]

I'd leave it like it is.

by Bob Hatfield @, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 19:39 (4104 days ago) @ FOG

Leave it like it is. File the flat on top of the rear sight off and recut a new wider notch for your 50 something eyes. Use it like John Wayne would have for what it is. Short range shooter. I have one just like it. Will not feed 357 at all no matter the length of the bullet. Jams up solid. Tinkered with it a few times. Need to tinker some more before sending it off.

Bob

Blank canvas, ideas requested.....

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 11:11 (4105 days ago) @ Byron

I'm looking for someone to thread my 20" Rossi, so let me know if he can take care of it.

I have a set of XS Sights for a '94 Winchester I want to put on mine as well. The 94 is set up for them, but it'll take a. Opulent of holes for the '92. I have a pic of one mounted somewhere. We are now legal to hunt with sippressors here in Indiana, and I think it'd be pretty cool to take a deer with a suppressed lever gun! Not sure if my 9mm can will take the pressure of full power .357 loads, though.

i THINK YOU SHOULD SELL It TBACK TO0 ME, FOR THE SAME PRICE!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 11:49 (4105 days ago) @ Byron

:-D I KNEW I would miss that as soon as it was gone. I'd make it as close for what ever suits my personal taste. For me, a slicked up action good trigger, a taller front sight and a peep sight of some sort work best of lever guns. I have Jim Taylor's slicked
I found a original '92 Winchester (made inn 1894) at the Whittington Center last month. It had a very nice .44 mag barrel from Numrich Arms and a tall front sight. It's a 20 barrel carbine and I think I will keep it just like it is. I will probably add a folding tang sight. It does need a new magazine tube spring or some serious cleaning as it did hang up a bit.
Warning: I have found hat these .357 and 44 lever guns are addicting.;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by JLF @, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 12:08 (4105 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Back in the days before Rossi, the Numrich 92s were the only 44mag lever guns to be had. I had any number of them over the years, even a 16" with a Mannlicher stock, if you can imagine that. It was beautiful, and will always be "one I should have kept". In my experience, they were all a bit finicky. The Rossi was designed around the cartridge, but the 92 was originally a 44-40, and the only thing I could ever figure was that there was just enough differences to upset the feeding in the 92s. Polish everything that rubs something else, and monkey around with bullet shapes and OAL until you find a winner. Fun little guns!

JLF

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 14:25 (4105 days ago) @ JLF

I would go for the taller front sight and slick up the action, and fix the mag hangup. No can and I like open sights.

Aperture sight, action/trigger work, 16" bbl

by brionic @, Thursday, July 04, 2013, 19:26 (4104 days ago) @ Byron
edited by brionic, Friday, July 05, 2013, 00:34

Front sight, too, depending on how it shoots and what you want its role to be. Trapper length '92s and Marlin '94s are just right.

RSS Feed of thread