30mm Ruger scope ring solution

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 15:09 (4107 days ago)

After following all the leads from the previous post, I poured over all the websites and dimension charts. About the lowest a fella can go with dedicated No. 1 rings was the .500" medium rings from Ruger. So, I decided to do a little measuring and fitted some 1" rings to the rifle and perched the 30mm tube on top of the lower ring half. Some industrial strength rubber bands completed the "installation", holding everything in place. I could then check for operation, clearance and asthetic appeal.

The low Ruger rings set the scope about .410" above the quarter rib and gave plenty of clearance and looked about right. The medium rings were about .100" higher but offended my sense of beauty and balance.

Back to the dimension charts we went. What was discovered was a Millett front ring for a M-77 was .397"---lower than anything else. So, two sets were ordered. That'll get me a couple of low rings and some higher "spares".

Thanks to all for the earlier help.

I wondered about that pairing myself

by FOG, Wednesday, July 03, 2013, 02:20 (4106 days ago) @ Hoot

Ordering two sets obviously entails twice the investment in terms of cash, but it's probably the most direct route to the answer you were seeking.

As for the leftovers, I'm sure you'll think of...something. ;-)

--
[image]

Yeah, I've done it before, buying at gunshows and such.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, July 03, 2013, 08:01 (4106 days ago) @ FOG

But, my assumption [insert, 'You know what they say...' here] was that the M77 would be combinations of existing rings rather than some other dimensions. Manufacturing efficiency and all that...

This is my first foray outside the 1" scope tube realm. Based on what I'm seeing, I might not go here again. It was a killer deal on a great scope though ($300 elder, variable Kahles) so I guess it works out in the end.

Different heights for the (F) & (R) rings does seem strange

by FOG, Wednesday, July 03, 2013, 11:09 (4106 days ago) @ Hoot

With all the 'tactical' emphasis these days, my first thought was elevation offset (or something like that).

You know, for those r-e-e-e-e-e-ally long shots. :-D

Otherwise, I have to admit I've done similar things myself.

More than once. :-D

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread