Now, I need a 375 Holland and Holland rifle.

by Charles, Monday, July 01, 2013, 13:01 (4108 days ago)

In years gone by I had a pre-64 Model 70 in 375 H&H that I doted on. Many decades ago in the lust for some forgotten gun, I sold or traded it down river. At time passed I sold and/or traded the dies, brass and remaining bullets.

I have always missed that rifle....stupid, stupid, stupid of me to let it go!!!

On Ebay last week I happened upon a set of Herters reloading dies in 375 H&H that nobody seemed to want and they looked to be in very good shape. For $10.00 they were mine and arrived today. They turned out to be new old stock. The box is toast, but it is still there with the instructions. The dies were packed with dust, but it came out easy. The dies are chrome plated so they shine like the sun.

I am going to try and resist the urge, but a Ruger #1 SS is calling my name.."Hey Charles, come and get me!".

haha, and I thought I was the 'only' one

by FOG, Monday, July 01, 2013, 13:10 (4108 days ago) @ Charles

Got grips? Need gun. ;-)

Holster? Need you even ask? :-)

Ammo? Fah-get-ah-bout it... :-D

--
[image]

I will happily push you over the edge...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, July 01, 2013, 13:14 (4108 days ago) @ Charles

If you send me an address, I'll mail you some brass.

Contact info: hoot_4570 -AT- yahoo -DOT- com

by lee jurras @, hagerman,NM, Monday, July 01, 2013, 13:22 (4108 days ago) @ Charles

Over he past 35 years I have had no less than 5 pre-64 375 H & H rifles. Each had the bbl cut to 20" and mounted with a 3 or 4 leaf express sight. Just seemed like the perfect brush rifle for close snap shots in heavy cover of Alaska, great for Lion in Africa but a little on the light side for Buff. Today I have exactly NONE, why ??? Don't know the reason I got rid of them, still want another even tho I don't hunt the big stuff anymore. (79 y.o. I guess is why. Not that rugged individual I was in my more salad days. Hate to admit that. But the miles have taken their toll. :-P

I hear you Lee..but..

by Charles, Monday, July 01, 2013, 13:49 (4107 days ago) @ lee jurras

I am a cast bullet recreational shooters these days, and a good cast bullet going 1.8 to 2K fps is not too much for my antique body. My rifles are nothing but receptacles for dreams these days, but I still lust after them.

I keep a Chinese Uzi carbine next to my bed, and that is the only really needful rifle in the house. All the rest are toys of one sort or another.

Boldly into my golden years I do creep!

I hear you Lee..but..

by lee jurras @, hagerman,NM, Monday, July 01, 2013, 20:15 (4107 days ago) @ Charles

I understand completely Charles, you phrase it so sweetly. :-P

by Jhenry, Monday, July 01, 2013, 21:11 (4107 days ago) @ Charles

A pre 64 Model 70 in 375 H+H is certainly up on high in my list of lustful guns. Just ringing some steel with one would probably make me smile for two or three days.

by lee jurras @, hagerman,NM, Monday, July 01, 2013, 23:51 (4107 days ago) @ Jhenry

The last of the five I've had, was given as a gift from a so called friend for past favors. I had discussed with him what I had done as personal favorite modifications. He said, go ahead its yours to do with what you wish. About two years later he called saying he hated to ask, but could he have the rifle back???? He said it had been a anniversary gift from his ex-wife. After some discussions about gifts I sent it back. Guess he figured what the market was doing. His Ex was the daughter of the owner of Phluger (sp) reels...He had every reel they made. Was a blue water fisherman. So much for gifts from friends. :-(

by Jhenry, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 16:36 (4106 days ago) @ lee jurras

The part that went bad in that deal was not the gift, it was the friend.

Luckily for you all it cost you to find out the friend was no good was the cost of some rifle modifications.It could have been worse, but I am sorry to hear of the loss of such a fine rifle.

The scent of money will do strange things to folks. The majority of my wife's family no longer speak to her or I due to an inheritance and her refusal to kow tow to a bully and his threats of a suit.

by lee jurras @, hagerman,NM, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 17:03 (4106 days ago) @ Jhenry

You are absolutely right jhenry,the guy has done a fair amount of writing in various gun rags. He knows nothing about guns but would give me one then ask me what I thought about it. Next thing I knew an article came out or he brought me a copy, and it was..word for word what I had discussed with him. That wasn't so bad but he would use my name to get a gun he wanted to play with. Then when the factory wanted it back he would say, Jurras has still got it. Then the factory would call me and ask how much longer I needed it for the article. I said I just got it yesterday, then I found out this guy had had it for two years before he sent it to me. Just used me for an excuse. Couple years ago finally told him to quit sending me guns. Any I needed for testing I would get from factory. He got upset and he hasn't spoken sense. Sorry it had to come to that but it was becoming more than I could handle. The 375 was just one story. The truth be known he was never a friend, just an aquaintence, he thought we were friends. He was mostly a name dropper. Sad but these things happen. Fortunately not to often. :-|

RSS Feed of thread