Helping our family by supporting USA artisans

by brionic @, Friday, June 28, 2013, 19:08 (4110 days ago)

I'm not going to say that buying a bunch of new 'stuff' is going to make me feel better about things, in general.

But we have been skimping for a while, and living in front of the TV at home and the hospitals. So this week I splurged and picked up some new Made in USA gear to help nudge us back outside, where we can appreciate the world around us.

1. Two new Wiggys sleeping bags for the boys. They have outgrown their crummy, disposable MalWart Spidey bags. Jerry is a good, if eccentric, guy, and I've swallowed the Kool-Aid about his gear. Speaking with him is a hoot. The boys are pleased and asked to camp ASAP, even helping me setup their packs last night. Win!

2. New pair o' boots. Wolverine 1,000 Mile Emmersons. These were seconds, although I can't discern anything worse than what I would inflict on my first trip outside with them. Great, thick leather, good stitching, quality waxed laces. I want another pair with the leather heels, but these have the flat rubber soles, which are better for actual field use. Other "good" boots that I bought in the last year have already bombed out, so hopefully these will fare better.

3. New knife, made by a friend in MO. Heavy 5" convexed blade, hidden tang, stacked micarta guard/spacers/pommel. One-of-a-kind, for now. But I plan to smack it around in camp and hunting. Another friend in MO made the sheath. Very nice work from a guy who is starting to come into his own.

Have a couple other things on order from friends here and elsewhere.

I want to share a few more items, but they're part of what is still too close to my heart to write about. So, soon... but thank you to those of you who know who you are.

Hope you all enjoy the weekend... and I admit that I had to check my phone to discover that today is Friday.
--
Br.

Still Made in USA *DOT COM*

by FOG, Saturday, June 29, 2013, 01:13 (4110 days ago) @ brionic

That looks like a great website, thanks!

by Brian A, Saturday, June 29, 2013, 08:18 (4110 days ago) @ FOG

nm

RSS Feed of thread