.50 BMG Question

by FOG, Friday, June 28, 2013, 07:57 (4111 days ago)
edited by FOG, Friday, June 28, 2013, 08:03

(SPG Edit)

I've never fired one, or seen one fired except on video, and I'm only generally acquainted with its reputation, so I don't know much about 'Ma Deuce'. Actually, I haven't seen many videos, either, but every once in a while one will pop up on YouTube and catch my notice.

It seems like every time ones does, the action is somewhere in the sandbox, and the gun won't run more than a few rounds at a time before stopping. To get it going again, the operator has to hand-crank it, often more than once. Depending on the length of the video, this 'cycle' might be repeated several times.

Is that 'normal' for the BMG, a sand/dust problem (maintenance?), or something else?

--
[image]

.50 BMG Question

by John K., Friday, June 28, 2013, 08:05 (4111 days ago) @ FOG

I've seen that also. Wouldn't be surprised if they were still using up WWII ammo. Looks like a lot of duds. Or possibly leaving the barrel unscrewed a notch or two and causing light firing pin hits?

Funny you mention WWII ammo...

by mcassill, Friday, June 28, 2013, 21:10 (4110 days ago) @ John K.

we had a big batch of .50 ammo over in the desert made at Des Moines (at what is now John Deere Ankeny Works) in 1945, which we thought must have come out of a warehouse in Germany. Guns ran just fine on it; properly set up, Ma Deuce will keep running with amounts of sand/dust that would hopelessly choke lesser weapons.

Always great to hear it from the guy that has actually been

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, June 28, 2013, 22:46 (4110 days ago) @ mcassill

there and done that, for keeps.
;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Thank you

by FOG, Saturday, June 29, 2013, 00:50 (4110 days ago) @ mcassill

I had some pretty 'wild' ideas about the reasons for what I'd been seeing on YouTube, but that settles it.

If anyone else had said 'WWII Ammo' − (NO OFFENSE to anyone who did!) − I probably wouldn't have believed it.

Still, it's pretty hard to believe.

Someone should make a 'movie'... :-|

--
[image]

.50 BMG Question

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Friday, June 28, 2013, 08:53 (4111 days ago) @ FOG

Its a maintenance issue. I'd bet the majority of issues you've seen are on vehicle mounts. Dust in the weapon coupled with improper headspacing and dirty ammo can cause anything to choke. My Dad was in armor in the Korean misunderstanding. He had his men cleaning weapons anytime they stopped. He said proper headspacing on reassembly was of utmost importance to reliability in the .50.

.50 BMG Question

by lee jurras @, hagerman,NM, Friday, June 28, 2013, 12:20 (4111 days ago) @ Wildcat

Most stoppages I've experienced were because of old WW2 ammo during mid 50's when I shot Quad 50's Pedistal mounted. Taken from Quad 50's used on half tracks in Korea, also tracers that were supposed to be each 5th round were about every 20th, makes it tough to shoot sleeves towed by aircraft at 600 yds off-shore. Since then I have shot 50 BMG cartridges in rifle from the same period w/o all the mis-fires and tracers worked well. Could also be an ammo storage situation. Tho, ammo Mil-Spec stuff is pretty reliable .I too remember Lent Lomont making a 100 yd. long belt of ammo at Knob Creek and firing the whole 100 yds of ammo w/o a hiccup, many watching. BBl turned from red to white, bullets could be seen going down bbl. When shooting stopped bbl just wilted. Lomont was probably the premier authority on M-2's in the US, prior to his untimely passing a year ago last January. RIP Kent

.50 BMG Question

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Friday, June 28, 2013, 21:15 (4110 days ago) @ lee jurras

Kent is surely missed.

.50 BMG Question

by lee jurras @, hagerman,NM, Friday, June 28, 2013, 22:23 (4110 days ago) @ Tom Richardson

Yes by many, he was a one of a kind. Handgunner, camper extrordinaire, Phd in EE.
And a true friend. :-)

Maintenance, too, I guess

by FOG, Saturday, June 29, 2013, 00:56 (4110 days ago) @ Wildcat

I thought 'maybe', but when you fold in the old ammo, there might not be enough scrubbing to go around, no matter how hard you try.

--
[image]

Non quals running them mostly...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, June 28, 2013, 12:21 (4111 days ago) @ FOG

I watched GIs get one round off from their vehicle mounted M60s and M2s because they were not properly running the gun. And as John mentioned; old ammo, road grime dust ect. Many , Many GIs run their M2s properly and kill bad guys a plenty. Waiting for a certain 2 war veteran Army officer that has actually used m2s in combat to chime in here!;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Last but not least...

by FOG, Saturday, June 29, 2013, 01:04 (4110 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Always a bit too handy in my case, cynicism said something like 'Training Issue'.

I figured if you have time to make a 'movie' about it, the gunfight is probably just a side show.

'Easier said than done', I'm sure, but there it is. ;-)

--
[image]

I followed the timing and headspace instructions

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, June 28, 2013, 12:28 (4111 days ago) @ FOG

to the letter and never had a gun fail to fire even with the plastic ammo.

Dem sons of guns are HEAVY! I've never seen a barrel wilt as Lee describes, maybe 'cause I didn't want to buy it!

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

'Trounds'?

by FOG, Saturday, June 29, 2013, 01:06 (4110 days ago) @ Hobie

[image]

--
[image]

They have a plastic reduced range cartridge for training...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, June 29, 2013, 07:40 (4110 days ago) @ FOG

"Trounds"?

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Dardick gun cartridge - short for "triangular round".

by John K., Saturday, June 29, 2013, 09:47 (4110 days ago) @ Hobie

Plastic cased, IIRC.

But not the same by a 'long shot", hence my

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, June 29, 2013, 14:52 (4109 days ago) @ John K.
edited by Hobie, Saturday, June 29, 2013, 14:57

confusion. ;-) I did not want to assume what you meant.

[image]

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Not me, I knew what you were referencing.

by John K., Saturday, June 29, 2013, 17:12 (4109 days ago) @ Hobie

Sometimes I just don't get it...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, June 29, 2013, 18:56 (4109 days ago) @ John K.

:-D

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I'd say I'm sorry fer yankin' yer chain

by FOG, Monday, July 01, 2013, 13:02 (4108 days ago) @ Hobie

But I'm not, so there!

[image]

--
[image]

About WWII ammo...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, June 29, 2013, 14:54 (4109 days ago) @ FOG

I've been told, on good authority, i.e. I believe this fellow, that last year (2012) there was fired a 1943 105mm gun/howitzer with 1943 ammo from the Normandy coast into the channel to celebrate the anniversary of the embarkation. These were HE rounds and they had zero problem with any of the ammunition.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

About WWII ammo...

by John K., Saturday, June 29, 2013, 17:20 (4109 days ago) @ Hobie

I still have lots and lots of surplus WWII ammo - most of it is reliable. Some is absolutely terrible - the worst is one lot of Radway Green cordite 303 brit. Pop, fizz, hang fires abound. Then there's the Turkish 8mm... but it probably wasn't much good brand new as evinced by the cracked necks from bullet seating.

Also have some German 7.62x51 that apparently was wet enough at some point to nearly dissolve the 20rnd square cardboard boxes. Tho dry, they crumble at the touch. Ammo works fine.

Based on what I know, I would speculate it probably centers around temperature and humidiy extremes during storage. Wide temp swings play havoc with many things.

I had to educate our young .50 gunner on corrosive priming

by mcassill, Saturday, June 29, 2013, 18:22 (4109 days ago) @ John K.

As that is now something only gun nuts know anything about, it seems. His solution for cleaning out the barrel was to take it in the shower with him. Worked well enough...

I had to educate our young .50 gunner on corrosive priming

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, June 29, 2013, 19:26 (4109 days ago) @ mcassill

Back in 1965 in OCS we took our M14's into the shower with us to get them clean. Really hot water worked great.

RSS Feed of thread