Handguns & 'Muscle Memory'

by FOG, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 07:35 (4114 days ago)

Self-defense issues aside, I think there's something to the idea of 'muscle memory' as it regards the handling of handguns.

At this point in my life, mine seems particularly strong when it comes to three basic types: old-style single-actions, more or less standard Goverment Models, and Smith & Wesson double-action revolvers.

Especially Smith & Wesson double-action revolvers.

For example, the Ruger LCR came up recently, so I decided to refresh my memory on that model and visited the LGS for another look at one. As soon as I heard the news when they first came out, I checked out a .38 and thought it was pretty slick in the action department. This time, it was a .357 (NIB), and I was pretty underwhelmed. More importantly, I found my built-in S&W MM™ working hard against me, particularly regarding the trigger reset.

I also experienced the same issue with a Charter Arms Bulldog a while back: When cycling the gun DA (even slowly), it was very easy for me to 'tie the gun up'.

To make a Ruger or Charter work right, I have to think about my trigger release and, compared to a Smith & Wesson, really let it fly.

I am so more used to a 'controlled' trigger release and found this so distracting that I think it'll probably be all S&Ws from now on.

Oh well, it could be worse... :-D

--
[image]

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 08:49 (4114 days ago) @ FOG

I have noted that as well with my Redhawks & GP100 vs the S&W's. Fast DA with the Rugers will often tie the gun up but, like you said, S&W just rolls right on. I'm going to give the GP100, new to me, a reasonable try-out before decidig to keep it, as soon as I get it back from Ruger for a cylinder binding problem.

I think McGivern was right

by FOG, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 09:20 (4114 days ago) @ Cherokee
edited by FOG, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 09:24

He emphasized this in fast shooting, of course, but the forward stoke of the DA revolver trigger action is at least as important as the rearward stroke.

Personally, I always handled triggers in the 'contolled' manner, if only because it was the only method that ever made sense to me.

I have no problem with Rugers or Charters, though, just the way they work.

A friend of mine who is a very good DA revolver shooter recently got a new Wiley Clapp GP100, and he loves it. He also managed to talk me out of my Bulldog and said it 'shoots like a target pistol'.

I hope you have similar luck with your GP100 and that you get it back soon. They are hard guns to beat when it comes to workhorse .357s.

--
[image]

by Who....me...??, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 08:54 (4114 days ago) @ FOG

DO YOU REALIZE THAT ABOUT 90% of this is between your ears, NOT between your hands ??!!

I was thinking it was more like 99%

by FOG, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 09:02 (4114 days ago) @ Who....me...??

But who's counting? :-D

--
[image]

Gee T, who'd a thought "Memory" was in our heads...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 13:15 (4114 days ago) @ Who....me...??

:-D ;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I think Ayoob coined the term 'Muscle Memory'

by FOG, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 15:46 (4113 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Primarily in reference to self-defense (and, I believe, the idea of sticking to one type of handgun for that particular purpose).

Back then, I was still under the impression that the 'all-around' handgunner was expected to be the master all types, so to be honest, the concept didn't sway me very much.

Now, I'd say it sometimes matters even when dry-firing, but that's just my recent experience.

There are also a few 'types' nowadays that I'd just as soon do without. :-D ;-)

--
[image]

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 18:24 (4113 days ago) @ Who....me...??

Yes I know, but after 60 years, its well set in the couple of brain cells I have left.

We should start a *club*

by FOG, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 21:58 (4113 days ago) @ Cherokee

And call it, The One-Percenters... :-D

--
[image]

Oh wait, I know...

by FOG, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 22:11 (4113 days ago) @ FOG
edited by FOG, Wednesday, June 26, 2013, 23:10

The Ten-To-One Percenters!

[image]

--
[image]