Cheeper Than Dirt or Ripoffs R Us?

by stonewalrus, Saturday, June 22, 2013, 14:08 (4117 days ago)

Latest catalog has 100 rounds CCI mini mag for$60! I know prices are up but 10X?!

On line only 59.59

by Brien1, Saturday, June 22, 2013, 14:36 (4117 days ago) @ stonewalrus

nm

They are called all kinds of names on the forums

by Bob Hatfield @, Saturday, June 22, 2013, 15:17 (4117 days ago) @ Brien1

Most of which I cannot repeat here. They have been gouging since Newtown. I wouldn't buy anything from them at all. Four letter word them.

Bob

On line only 59.59

by uncowboy, Saturday, June 22, 2013, 15:17 (4117 days ago) @ Brien1

just remember the companies that gouged us at this time .when things get better use your buying power to take care of those who took care of us. I vote with my money.
J.Michael

WOT!? Last time I bought them they were $3.00!

by cas, Saturday, June 22, 2013, 15:25 (4117 days ago) @ stonewalrus

[image]

Colt-brand 40-gr solids @ 'only' $1,495.59/Case of 5000 (!)

by FOG, Saturday, June 22, 2013, 17:38 (4116 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Or about *half* the price of the Mini-Mags... :eyepopping:

The other thing about the current crunch is how long it's been going on.

What's it been now, almost a year?

And still no end in sight. :-(

Pretty hard to believe...

--
[image]

Still the same president...

by AaronB, Sunday, June 23, 2013, 07:27 (4116 days ago) @ FOG

...still the same market.

-AaronB

I guess I don't remember how long the '08 crunch lasted

by FOG, Sunday, June 23, 2013, 07:47 (4116 days ago) @ AaronB

It seems like the rimfire ammo shortage was less severe and passed more quickly,
but that might be 'nostalgia' talking. [image]

--
[image]

I was in the US in '09...

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, June 23, 2013, 17:40 (4115 days ago) @ FOG

for a few months that summer. Traveled all over much of the western side (west of the MS river)and only found one relatively affordable brick of ammo during the whole stay. Also managed to snag six boxes (300 rounds) of Remington brand ammo at a wally world. We hit a lot of the chinamarts as we travel (free, relatively clean restrooms and airconditioning - what's not to like?) and almost every one was sold out of rimfire. We left mid August and the shortage was still going strong. So far it looks like this time 'round is a repeat of the same.

On the other hand, we were in the US last autumn, traveled much of the same territory (and then some) and everywhere we went we saw ammo stacked on the shelves - at reasonable prices. I managed to snag a brick (funds were short) and shot most of a brick so the cache balanced out in the end. The election results came in a few weeks before we left. I told my b-i-law to stock up because it was going to get nasty - and that was pre-SandyHook. He was talking about picking up an EBR but couldn't make up his mind. Sandyhook went down the day before we traveled and things went south quick thereafter from what I've been reading on the 'net. B-i-law went to the first gunshow of '13 and struck out on everything he had in mind.

My guess is that the rimfire shortage is going to go on at least through the end of this year. It's a good time to investigate air power...

Interesting

by FOG, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 08:42 (4114 days ago) @ Paul

And I'm sure you're right: The crunch will probably last for some time, especially on rimfire ammo.

Although it's nationwide this time (I guess), the local aspects are still kind of strange.

I remember all of the so-called 'assault rifle' calibers going through the roof last time, plus a few centerfire handgun calibers, but not rimfire ammo.

Right now, I doubt I could trade a case of brand-name .45 hardball for an equivalent amount of the worst rimfire ammo ever made.

Even if I could, it wouldn't be at any of the local shops: They're either out, or they might as well be.

The good news is, I have enough, especially considering how little I shoot these days. When I do go, I usually only shoot 50 rounds, and I never take more than 100, so it'll last a while.

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread