I Like Krag Rifles!

by Charles, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 13:52 (4118 days ago)

Here are three Krag rifles hanging on my bedroom wall. The middle Krag is my all time favorite rifle. Bought in 1960 and used to kill my first deer, it still is solid, and shoots true. It wears a Pacific receiver sight and a Redfield Sourdough front sight. They may bury this one with me.

I have two more Krags in the shop in various states of restoration. In due time they will join the fleet. [image]

I guess you do like Krag rifles, those are some

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 14:00 (4118 days ago) @ Charles

pretty rifles.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Neat set. As the haze clears I will take the opportunity

by brionic @, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 17:20 (4118 days ago) @ Charles

to start working with mine.

Let me know when you get ready to start casting for it

by mcassill, Friday, June 21, 2013, 17:01 (4117 days ago) @ brionic

Me too! Those are nice, Charles.

by John K., Thursday, June 20, 2013, 17:58 (4118 days ago) @ Charles

Do you know who made the aftermarket stock on the third one from the top?

Always interested in learning about sporter Krags, especially stocks.

The Story

by Charles, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 20:39 (4118 days ago) @ John K.
edited by Charles, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 20:42

Three years ago, I sold a bunch of guns for a Niece by marriage that she inherited from her Grandfather's estate. She told me I could keep any one I wanted and I latched on to that old Krag sporter. It has belonged to her Grandfathers older brother who took it to Alaska several times before WWII.

There is an old repair on the left side of the stock and some gouges from a close encounter with a bear or so the story goes.

The whole rifle was pretty cruddy and I did a quick restoration of the wood and metal. Scraped lots of rust off the metal, but thanks to an original rust blue finish, it came out well. Just another layer of rust to be carded off. The stock has a definite German flair and is a one of a kind, although the stockmaker did keep the original Krag butt plate. The barrel is cut to 25 inches and has a very old Pacific front sight. I added the Redfield receiver sight which I had in my sight box. I tend to collect Krag stuff around here. The rifle looks a little awkward but really does balance and handle quite well.

It is a 1898 rifle and the barrel is still bright and shiny. All in all, it is a good old Krag sporter with an interesting history. I wish I knew who made the stock, but there are no trails to follow.

The Story

by John K., Friday, June 21, 2013, 07:57 (4118 days ago) @ Charles

Great story, Charles - and like Churchill said - "It is all true, or it ought to be; and more and better besides".

That stock design reminds me of the early days of the pre-war sporters, especially Wundhammer or Adolph.

I really like the classic pre-war sporters - Krags, Mausers, and Springfields. Some look oddly proportioned, but most handle far better than modern designs. And with a good receiver sight and shooter, they can surprise a modern gun and shooter in the field. Those old guys were mostly riflemen, not bench shooters, and it shows in the guns.

Doug Mann pointed me towards this book by Petrov; it's not specific to the Krag, tho:

http://www.brownells.com/books-videos/books/gunsmithing-books/custom-work/custom-gunmak...

If you aren't familiar with Michael Petrov:

http://www.finegunmaking.com/page25/page25.html

....and I forgot to ask, how did that stockmaker deal

by John K., Friday, June 21, 2013, 08:48 (4118 days ago) @ John K.

with a front action screw after losing the barrel band? Can't see an internal barrel band. Barrel stud?

....and I forgot to ask, how did that stockmaker deal

by Charles, Friday, June 21, 2013, 10:05 (4118 days ago) @ John K.

He cut a dovetail in the bottom of the barrel with a threaded block in it. There is a screw that goes from the bottom of the forend into the threaded block.

Excellent method. Thanks,

by John K., Friday, June 21, 2013, 19:34 (4117 days ago) @ Charles

Thx for the tip, John. I ordered the book.

by brionic @, Friday, June 21, 2013, 14:31 (4117 days ago) @ John K.

Thx for the tip, John. I ordered the book.

by John K., Friday, June 21, 2013, 19:36 (4117 days ago) @ brionic

You won't be disappointed.

I love the look`s of a Krag they have class

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Friday, June 21, 2013, 15:05 (4117 days ago) @ Charles

Nice looking bunch of Krag`s:-D :-D

RSS Feed of thread