So, what guns does one carry to bug out with?

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 21:42 (4119 days ago)

ALL of EM!:-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Silly question.

by Fermin Garza, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 21:44 (4119 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

But you got the answer right....

You start with a deuce and a half.......

by Otony, Wednesday, June 19, 2013, 21:48 (4119 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

:-D

Hmmm, what comes after a deuce and a half?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 07:25 (4119 days ago) @ Otony

:-D

If a five-ton isn't big enough...

by mcassill, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 07:27 (4119 days ago) @ Hoot

Then you need a tractor-trailer :-(

900 series 5-tons are going cheap right now....

by Brian A, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 08:28 (4119 days ago) @ Hoot

The government is dumping them on the market in large numbers currently, so prices are way down. This is the time to buy if one has thought about being the owner of a large military vehicle.

900 series 5-tons are going cheap right now....

by mcassill, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 11:05 (4119 days ago) @ Brian A

They are an immensely useful vehicle, and not particularly hard to drive, although I was never licensed in the Army for anything bigger than an 1114. :-D

just curious. but roughly what are the prices? i road in

by cable, Saturday, June 22, 2013, 16:53 (4116 days ago) @ Brian A

them in the army never thought of owning one, but....... what kinda mileage do they get [ diesel fuel i assume ]

thanks

Watch this one and see

by mcassill, Saturday, June 22, 2013, 19:04 (4116 days ago) @ cable

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6351521&convertTo=USD

They have about 300 of them on line starting in the next few weeks; this one is the only one in AK. Last time I looked they were bringing a couple grand, but that has been a few years ago. Buyer is responsible for getting the thing moved home once they buy it, which would be a bloody fortune if you buy one from the lower 48. The truck may or may not run. They use the same 855 Cummins engine and Allison automatic trans that were common in commercial trucks once upon a time, so parts for those shouldn't be difficult to find. Fuel mileage? I don't know that we ever kept track, but I doubt you'd ever get out of the mid single digits. I could be wrong. They'll haul anything, just about anywhere, with central tire inflation that comes in handy on soft surfaces. Their only real limitation for military use is that they were too heavy to be moved by helicopter, which I doubt would be an issue for most civilian users.
Mark

thanks!

by cable, Saturday, June 22, 2013, 20:37 (4116 days ago) @ mcassill

:-)

Mark is right on...

by Brian A, Sunday, June 23, 2013, 08:00 (4116 days ago) @ mcassill

with the information provided. I have not played with the 900 series trucks yet, but a lot of guys really like them. They are big and heavy and the parts are big and heavy, so not real friendly for a lot of folks to work on at home, nor do they fit in suburban garages easily, and a lot of towns take a dim view of 'commercial' trucks in side or back yards. That is a big reason for the prices being so low on them, a lot of collectors just do not have a way to deal with something that big. For the guys who are able to pick one up, they have auto transmissions, power steering, air brakes, and some have central tire inflation systems. Most 5-tons, and I assume the 900 series is the same, get about 5-6 mpg, so they are not efficient grocery getters unless you are feeding an army. For a good review of the 900s and what variations there are, here is a good website - http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/projects/rec63m939.pdf

A lot of the ones I've seen "out in the wild"

by mcassill, Sunday, June 23, 2013, 17:37 (4115 days ago) @ Brian A

have been purchased by farmer/rancher types, and put to work.

local family practice doc,a truly brilliant guy, has one

by cable, Saturday, June 22, 2013, 17:01 (4116 days ago) @ Otony

of these and has taken it unbeleivable places .......the only motorhome that can go many places; Unicat

[image]

has huge tires with central inflation/deflation controls. multiwheel drive and transmission with high, low, and ultralow range, with think six gears in each range. etc. etc

by uncowboy, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 11:45 (4119 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

stand and deliver. what is bug out?
j.michael

Bug out: to leave in a big, darn hurry

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 12:13 (4119 days ago) @ uncowboy

A bug out bag (BOB if you're cool) should be packed and at the ready with everything you will need for a predetermined amount of time...days to 'forever'. It would, of course, include the means to defend oneself or harvest game. This would be a BOG (again, if you're cool).

Well, that was plan A, range fire made leaving a possibllity

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 13:47 (4118 days ago) @ uncowboy

otherwise yes stay put. I will be making changes to better withstand a fire immediately.

--

by that cool '92 in 44 mag, for sure ;-), Thursday, June 20, 2013, 12:32 (4119 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I had to say that, you know, right?

:-P

Matt

Did you see that Bo had the same gun w/ a 357 Nunrich

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 13:49 (4118 days ago) @ that cool '92 in 44 mag, for sure ;-)

arms barrel? It was his dad's.

--

So when do you start on your fireproof bunker?

by stonewalrus, Monday, June 24, 2013, 09:23 (4115 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Nm

RSS Feed of thread