GP100 problem

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 22:01 (4125 days ago)

My new (200 rounds) Ruger GP100 has a problem: Seems that sometimes the cylinder will bind up upon closing the cylinder into the frame, with our without ammo, and will not completely close. If I force it (thumb pressure, not a hammer), it will close but will not rotate. If I clean the area behind the star, it will work for about 10-15 rounds and then start binding again. The gun was very tight from the box and I thought it would loosen up, but rather, this problem appeared. My Range Master and I agree it appears the recoil shield area against which the star rests appears proud of the surrounding metal, which might be the problem. The Range Master suggested I send it back to Ruger but I hate to do that. Andy Horvath is just up the road and I'm tempted to have him fix it. Comments/suggestions ?

Ejector rod unscrewing?

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 22:16 (4125 days ago) @ Cherokee

I had a Security Six that did that. Even the distance of a half turn on the threads would bind it up.

Ejector rod unscrewing?

by rob @, Friday, June 14, 2013, 07:31 (4125 days ago) @ Andrew

I think with the GP100's and Redhawks that's no longer possible. I'm not familiar enough with the Security Six to know if they are more like a Smith, but the ejector on the newer guns doesn't rotate and it takes a special tool to remove them IIRC. Its kinda off topic...well, very off topic, but I sure wish Ruger, or someone, would make a set of stocks for the GP100 like like the Security Six had.

I'm always for sending it back. Make Ruger make it

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, June 14, 2013, 07:32 (4125 days ago) @ Cherokee

right. Best for you, best for them, best for the rest of us as it helps them improve the product and production QC.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Called Ruger and they want me to send it in, they arranged

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, June 14, 2013, 16:12 (4125 days ago) @ Cherokee

for UPS to pick it up tomorrow. We'll see what they do.

RSS Feed of thread