The Bisley hammer arrived. Brownells ships quick!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, January 15, 2012, 08:19 (4645 days ago)
edited by Hobie, Sunday, January 15, 2012, 08:24

So I laid the original FT hammer up against the Bisley hammer and noticed that the vertical "shank" (I know there is a correct term for the part of the hammer that connects spur and nose with the part that is pierced by the pivot hole) is thicker front to back than the original. So, do folks thin this? Is their aesthetic ruined by the extra metal? Any other thoughts? It doesn't appear that Slow Hand has done this at all...

[image]

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Sarge, Sunday, January 15, 2012, 08:53 (4645 days ago) @ Hobie

There are things about Grownells I don't like as well as I used to, but accuracy of invoice and speed of shipping are not among them. If the contour of that hammer bothered me, I would scribe a line and go to town on it.

You bunch of bums... now I'm thinking the Old Vaquero needs one of those ;)

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, January 15, 2012, 10:07 (4645 days ago) @ Sarge

Well, I get the discount and shipping isn't outrageous plus things are packed correctly...

I was looking at all the others I have photos of and of Rugers with stock hammers and the Bisley's not going to be much different in that regard than, say, with the SBH hammer. I'm not going to worry about that part of it. Re-bluing though, that might be important.

Yeah, you've got to try it. I carried the NV for a year, every day, with the stock hammer. The SBH hammer is MUCH better for use. Might not look old-timey, but it is better.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

The 1st time I saw Skeeter's picture of a Bisley Hammer on

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, January 15, 2012, 11:03 (4645 days ago) @ Hobie

a Hank Williams Jr owned BH I was hooked. I think that hammer spur was dovetailed onto a standard hammer. I'm thinking my FT .44s would look & work great with those hammers on them.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I found a photo of a Bisley hammer spur grafted to a...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, January 15, 2012, 12:06 (4644 days ago) @ Rob Leahy
edited by Hobie, Sunday, January 15, 2012, 15:45

...Security Six hammer. Dang retro cool!

Ok, so here's the photo...

[image]

Just this one of it on the gun...

[image]

Of course the fella cleaned it up before final installation...

[image]

These pics came from http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472415

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

My downfall was Bowen's book

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, January 15, 2012, 15:48 (4644 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I drooled over the pages of that book for long long time! that's why my NMBH has a Bisley hammr and a lanyard ring on the gripframe!

Got mine yesterday...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, January 15, 2012, 15:46 (4644 days ago) @ Hobie

Haven't had a chance to mess with it just yet. I just got home form the last day of quail hunting/dog chasing and the wife was headed out with the young-un's for dinner at a freinds house. That means I've got a few hours to play! After a shower I"ll probably tear into it whole heartedly. I didn't remove any metal on the vertical part other than what it would take for it to fit a standard grip frame. The picutre you posted, also shows the hammer not fully at rest. I think I had something back together wrong and it wasn't all the way forward. I plan on Dykem'ing mine, scribing the original hammer outline and put it in the vice and attacking it with my 4" angle grinder. I'm pretty good with it...Poor welders have to be good with grinders :-P After that, I'll clean up as needed with files and then sand to probably a 600 grit finish or so.

Than, I"ll get back on teh new grips for it. I've got the left panel nearly finished, hope to get soem good work in on the right. Forgot to order escutcheons and screws on teh Brownells order, but I've got a few pair of Pachmayer grips I can cannibilize with no issues and stel the hardware from them.

Speaking of Brownell's, I too like them. One thing I"m not really happy about is that ever since they bought Sinclair International Us Hoosiers ahve to pay sales tax. So, I order stuff from Iowa, money goes to Iowa and parts are shipped from Iowa, and i have to pay 7% sales tax to Indiana on it. BS!!

Off to the shower, then the garage...

Doug K

Found an excellent photo on-line of, a Bowen job, of course.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, January 15, 2012, 15:53 (4644 days ago) @ Slow Hand

At Gunblast.com. Here's the link to the article. Get your drool rag out.
http://www.gunblast.com/Bowen-327s.htm

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread