A new blade; Marauder

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, June 07, 2013, 21:13 (4131 days ago)

Got a couple in today. my first impression: reminds me of a better balanced and updated Western 49r Bowie. Big, But not too heavy. Small enough to conceal. I would have liked a sharpened false edge. I think this will make a great camp/survival knife.
[image]

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Who makes it?

by Otony, Friday, June 07, 2013, 22:14 (4131 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

NM

Cold Steel!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, June 07, 2013, 22:16 (4131 days ago) @ Otony

I thought it was obvious;-)
They use the double quillion neoprene grip on a bunch of knives. Including the famous Cape Buffalo killing OSI.

--

Cold Steel!

by Otony, Friday, June 07, 2013, 22:19 (4131 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Oh, I knew it wasa Cold Teel knife, it is painfully obvious.

Not everyone one here might be as endowed.......:-D

I figured you already had a pair of these right behind

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, June 07, 2013, 22:34 (4131 days ago) @ Otony

your matched pair of .45s...

--

I figured you already had a pair of these right behind

by Otony, Friday, June 07, 2013, 22:46 (4131 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Man, have I got an undeserved reputation.

Only big knifes here are a Ontario/Bagwell, an Eight Dollar Mountain Forge smachet, and a Kiwi Svord bowie. Followed up by an assortment of KaBars by various makers. Might be more but darned iffen I can remember......

Matched .45s? Not here, only the one Springfield Armory at the moment and lust in my heart for an a
aluminum Commander.

Otony

Ilust in my heart for an a aluminum Commander...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, June 07, 2013, 23:45 (4131 days ago) @ Otony

Kimber pro Carry is proly the most reasonably priced but S&W 's E- Series is tops in that class...shy of a full blown Leas Baer.
So, I can help you with your LWT Commander funds by purchasing that obsolete old B Bill Bagwell Blade;-) :-D

--

I have a mental block against the Kimber Pro

by bj2, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 00:46 (4131 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I know it's only 1/4" shorter than the real thing but that 1/4" is like messing with perfection. Of course it is hard to argue that there are advantages to the Commander size over the full size, but its proportions appeal to me more. Kimber makes lots of full size models with lightweight frame.

I liked the older S&W SC1911 but they can be hard to find. I'm wondering if Ruger will get around to making a lightweight model.

by Otony, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 02:19 (4131 days ago) @ bj2

....there is a Para Expert Commander in the shop that I'm trying to ignore. Priced nicely, and not loaded up with gimcracks and gewgaws.

It is a true Commander in size and seems well made. I know very little about Paras, other than their strange foray a few years back into a two or three piece extractor.

I'm not sure if that part has returned to "normal" but from outward appearances, Para has moved into more familiar territory. Anyone here have much experience with their traditional single stack, SA 1911s?

Otony

Commanche.............

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 08:37 (4131 days ago) @ Otony

[image]

I like it for carry but prefer the balance of the 5 inchers.

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Is this an alloy frame? To me, the Commander length

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 09:53 (4131 days ago) @ Gunner

is pointless, unless it is light weight. I have been bugging every Ruger manager and type I run into to make an alloy SR1911...I THINK it is in the works along with some good sights. Truth be told, I had my Kimber Pro Carry for a month or so, before I realized it was a 1/4" shorter:-)

--

Is this an alloy frame? To me, the Commander length

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 10:28 (4131 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

All steel.....The few ounces you save on a alloy frame is not a big enough offset for me to have a alloy frame. I had a Kimber Tactical 5 incher, never could warm up to a alloy frame, made me leary, then again, could I have shot enough rounds thru it to damage it?? I have loosened steel 1911's within 3,000 rounds, how much wear and tare would that round count done to a alloy rail? Simple and easy to tighten a steel 1911, alloy not so much, though I wonder if Doug Jones could install his Accu Rail system on a alloy frame?

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

MY 5" Kimber Custom has noticably more muzzle flip than

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 11:29 (4131 days ago) @ Gunner

say my E- Series Smith or Les Bear/Colt custom Commanders...I have other 45s for competition and lots of shooting. the Lwt Commander is, to me, the best everyday packing gun for self defense.

--

Steel vs. Aluminum & Government Model vs. Commander

by FOG, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 11:52 (4131 days ago) @ Otony

I've owned .45-cal 1911s in all of the 'common' barrel lengths now available, except for 3" and 6", and several had alloy frames.

Currently, I only have two:
1) Government Model (steel frame)
2) Combat Commander (also steel)

Truthfully, I'd rather the Combat Commander was a 5-inch gun, but these are the 'breaks'.

[image]

Breaking it down to basics, this is how I see it:
Steel: Range Gun
Aluminum: Carry Gun
Goverment Model: Yes
Commander: Ditto

In other words, I think the differences between the steel-framed Goverment Model and Combat Commander are greatly outweighed by their similarities: both are probably the 'best general-purpose' sidearms extant.

I also believe the true Commander length 1911 − 4¼ inches − is a sort of 'lower limit'. Below that, things get much more...interesting. Many of them work just fine, but none are as versatile as their longer-barreled counterparts.

--
[image]

Now if someone just made a tuckable sheath for it :)

by stonewalrus, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 12:00 (4131 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

July 1 the legal blade length for concealed in TN is changed from 4" to unlimited.

Some is making a concealble sheath for this and other

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 12:09 (4131 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Cold Steel Blades.

--

by Jared, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 16:14 (4131 days ago) @ bj2

I agree my Pro Carry is great, but it just isn't the same as a real commander.

What would you consider an optimum length for a concealed

by stonewalrus, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 20:19 (4130 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Fixed blade knife. The 9" Marauder seems a bit extreme. I would think anything over 6" would be pushing it.

Optimum, Schmoptimum: Go 007!

by FOG, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 20:26 (4130 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Get a *shoulder holster* for that 'Big Blankinch'! :-D

--
[image]

Steel vs. Aluminum & Government Model vs. Commander

by Catoosa, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 22:03 (4130 days ago) @ FOG

Having been seriously working out with a Combat Commander for several weeks now, I have to say that I have not found a downside to it yet. Although my old alloy 9mm Commander is lighter and is still a sentimental favorite carry gun, the steel-frame .45 is no burden in a good holster. I like my GMs, but not after 7 or 8 hours on the hip.

RSS Feed of thread