Pork Goodness -- from a huntin' friend....

by John Meeker @, Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 11:08 (4134 days ago)

Tracy's Roast Pork

Have been cooking a pork shoulder roast this afternoon. Had cooled it in the refrigerator overnight and then gave it a short stay in the freezer afterwards so that it's fat was easily removed & I de-boned it and removed all of the connective fat & 'silver' as well & then patted it down with 'Chef Merito' seasoned tenderizer, a product made in Van Nuys, CA that has a lot of Paprika in it and let it rest at room temp for about an hour before then searing it in an old black iron skillet that I'd rubbed with lard first.

After searing the meat chunks, I added a 16oz. bottle of Dr. Pepper and then poured about 8 oz. of Hickory Smoked BBQ sauce on those portions of meat sticking up above the liquid. Brought it up to a good boil and then cut it back to a strong simmer and covered the skillet with an iron lid. Its been on since noon now & I've already taken a small sample and its just killer for good taste.

Dr. Pepper has a prune base, in case you didn't know and using it as a cooking medium has for some reason an extra effective tenderizing quality on pork as well. I'll admit its a bit of the beaten path, but it is sure gonna eat well later tonight. Have not yet decided whether to do some smashed potato's or rice for the main side, but one of them & I'll use the Dr. Pepper reduction as the sauce.

Pork Carnitas Orange Crush soda is the secret ingrediant...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 11:30 (4134 days ago) @ John Meeker

That sounds great, I'll be right over!:-D

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Pork Goodness -- from a huntin' friend....

by uncowboy, Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 14:05 (4134 days ago) @ John Meeker

A secret for tenderizing game. Before cooking sprinkle meat with backing powder one TBS and a cup to 1 1/2 cups water, soak the meat for an hour then rinse and dry and prepare regular. The baking powder loosens the tendons that restrict the meat so they don't get as stiff when heat is applied. Results is more tender meat. Do this with stir fry or any fast prep of meat or foul. Have not yet tried with fish. J.Michael

RSS Feed of thread