Hey Charles! A picture of my 'pin slug'

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, June 03, 2013, 21:21 (4135 days ago)

I remembered I had this old pic of the mold insure to knock pins off the tables.

[image]

It's a Lee mold and as you can see. It looks like someone just ran an end mill into it after they got it all centered up. It's fed in several 1911's and fits te magazines just fine. That big, flat meplat does a he k of a job grabbing pins and shoving them off the table!

Doug K

That's interesting...

by John K., Monday, June 03, 2013, 22:11 (4135 days ago) @ Slow Hand

A 3/8" end mill?

Yep

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 04:02 (4135 days ago) @ John K.

I couldn't remember, so I just took my micrometer andeasures one of the loaded rounds. Right at .375. I can measure the mold to give you an OAL, if you'd like. The sticker on the loaded rounds says they are 245 gr. I've got them loaded with 4.0 of bullseye, but I seem to remember they were going a bit slow. We never had any bounce back on the pins though.

Thanks, Doug, that's enough info to go on.

by John K., Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 09:15 (4135 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I wonder if a 3/8" end mill and a 7/16" would turn a Lee 230gr TC mould into a crude facsimile of a a 454423?

Thanks, Doug, that's enough info to go on.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 09:34 (4135 days ago) @ John K.

Worth a shot! Good thing about the Lee molds is they are cheap enough you can experiment and not be out much. My biggest gripe on lee's designs is too little lube capacity. Thin and shallow lube grooves, makes the tumble lube bullets look generous!

FREEZE!

by Jimmy P., Florida Panhandle, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 06:50 (4135 days ago) @ John K.

Put DOWN the collet and the end mill, RAISE your hands AND STEP AWAY FROM THE BRIDGEPORT.

We have enough projects laying around in various states of uncompletedness.

Although. There is that old two cavity Lee that I haven't used in years.......

HA! With my shop in such disarray, I don't think I can even

by John K., Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 09:21 (4135 days ago) @ Jimmy P.

use my Bridgeport without moving a lot of stuff. Fun to think about, tho.

Jimmy, I have been mising your posts...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 09:29 (4135 days ago) @ Jimmy P.

I hope to see you next week.
Rob

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Jimmy, I have been mising your posts...

by Jimmy P., Florida Panhandle, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 09:39 (4135 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Lord willing and the creeks don't rise....

Well Good!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 11:40 (4135 days ago) @ Jimmy P.

Looking forward to a visit.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Hey Charles! A picture of my 'pin slug'

by Charles, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 10:19 (4135 days ago) @ Slow Hand
edited by Charles, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 10:23

Cool... I have a lathe and some end mills, I think I could do that. I will have to wait and see if this bowling pin shoot will take off. We have a 22 falling plate match in the morning starting at 10 am followed by lunch. They are going to start with the bowling pins about 1:30 pm, when it will be beastly hot down here. My enthusiasm isn't all that great as I will be tired, full of food and very hot. Not the best scenario for a fun time, at least for a geezer like me.

Odd looking but cool.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 13:15 (4135 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I have some Black Powder slugs that are similar. A 54 caliber Minie' with about a half inch end mill run into the nose.

I think I need to whack a piggie with one of those...hmmmmm......

RSS Feed of thread