Anti-gun rental car companies?

by stonewalrus, Friday, May 31, 2013, 21:57 (4138 days ago)

My son was in a wreck and had to get a rental car (Hertz I think). When he pulled out his driver's license the guy saw his carry permit. The guy told him he really wasn't supposed to have a gun in a rental car. Have you ever heard of such or was he just another idiot full of misinformation?

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, May 31, 2013, 22:15 (4138 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Never heard of it - is that stipulation in the rental contract ? If not, I would ignore the jerk.

by Catoosa, Friday, May 31, 2013, 23:09 (4138 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I think the appropriate response to that would be, "Well, my gun goes wherever I go. Are you going to refuse to rent me a car because I am legally carrying a firearm? Since the Avis folks down the street offer a discount to NRA members, I'll bet thay won't have any problem with it."

Then just stand there and look the little a--hole in the eye until he shuts up and finishes his paperwork.

I know Fox

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, May 31, 2013, 23:25 (4138 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Rental Cars in Las Vegas doesn't bat an eye at firearms.

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 09:11 (4138 days ago) @ stonewalrus
edited by RidinLou, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 09:17

Unless the insurance company required Hertz and I knew that Avis gave a NRA discount, I would have gone straight to Avis post haste.

Just saying, we need to support ALL of those who support us and be vocal to them in our support when we do, so they know the importance of their support in our decision.

Of course we need to do the opposite for the other side also. If they get enough negative comments due to their lack of gun owner support or opposing position, they may change their business practice. Simple firm and straightforward comments, NOT attacks will likely sway some.

Either way we support those who support us.

I need to look at the rental car agreement

by stonewalrus, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 10:12 (4138 days ago) @ RidinLou

I still think we're dealing with a know it all idiot. The guy told him a rental car was not an extension of his house like your own car is. That may be true in some states but that is when you DON'T have a permit!

I need to look at the rental car agreement

by Catoosa, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 20:32 (4137 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Unless it specifically so states in the rental agreement, the guy is full of crap when he says that a rental car does not have the same legal status as your owned vehicle.

If it does so state in the agreement, I would waste NO time in returning the vehicle, and telling them exactly why I was doing so and why I would never consider renting from them again. The car rental business is too competitive to put up with that kind of crap.

In fact, a letter to the company president stating exactly that might be the next step. Legal gun owners need to start being as aggressive in defending our rights as other groups of people have been for years.

RSS Feed of thread