My favorite Uncle Terry came up again last week.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, May 31, 2013, 14:29 (4139 days ago)
edited by Rob Leahy, Friday, May 31, 2013, 14:52

He brought up some good stories and A family gift: My Great Uncle Hal Waugh, Alaska's 1st Master Guide, shot a record book brown bear circa 1948. He gave one of the bear's canine's to his dad, my grandfather. Grandad gave this to my favorite Uncle, Terry. Terry had a hunting partner and jeweler, make the bezel etc. He wore this for years. Recently, he gave it to me. It has My grandfather and uncle initials on it. I never met Hal Waugh, but his book and the book written about him, inspired me from a young age.[image]

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Cool! (nm)

by Boge Quinn, Friday, May 31, 2013, 15:37 (4139 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

by lee jurras @, hagerman,NM, Friday, May 31, 2013, 15:51 (4139 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Never met him Rob, but anyone who has hunted Alaska or studied its hunting history has certainly heard of him.ATB, Lee :-)

by Gary G, Friday, May 31, 2013, 20:07 (4138 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Man that is right up there on the Cool Meter Robb,,,,,,,,,Really enjoyed the book you let me borrow about your uncle Hal a few years back. More Good Stuff at Simply Rugged.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, May 31, 2013, 22:12 (4138 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

That is really something special, WOW.....

That is very cool Rob!!

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Saturday, June 01, 2013, 05:41 (4138 days ago) @ Cherokee

I knew you came from good stock.:-D

I'm a little confused...

by pokynojoe, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 10:36 (4138 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Don't get me wrong, that is a REALLY neat and original memento. But I'm a little confused about the "lineage." Don't take it personal(must be the anthropologist in me). But if your Great Uncle gave it to his "dad", wouldn't that be your Great Grandfather? Your Grandfather, would be your Great Uncle's brother; right? Your Uncle Terry would be your father's/mother's brother, and your grandfather would be their dad.
If so, then we can assume that your Great Uncle's dad is your Uncle Terry's, and your father's/mother's grandfather.

Just getting my daily OCD out of the way. I could be wrong, in which case, I guess I'm a monkey's uncle.

I'm a little confused...

by CJM @, Uncle is you dads or moms brother, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 23:11 (4136 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Great Uncle in your grandfathers or grandmothers brother. Uncle/Aunt starts getting "great" one generation before moms and dads, maybe cause their job is to spoil the kids instead of keeping them disciplined?

Yep, great grand dad...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, June 03, 2013, 11:19 (4136 days ago) @ pokynojoe

;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

what a treasure Rob!!

by cable, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 12:39 (4138 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

:-)

Regardless of the anthropological lineage,

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, June 03, 2013, 09:15 (4136 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

THAT is one cool memento!

RSS Feed of thread