Price Check on a Winchester Model 71

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Friday, May 31, 2013, 10:06 (4139 days ago)

One of my local purveyors of temptation has a Winchester Model 71 rifle for sale. The metalwork is immaculate, with only the slightest bluing wear on the edges, except that the rear sight has been removed, the slot filled and a Lyman peep sight installed. So far, so good. Now the bad part:

The wood would be in like condition, had someone not carved a cougar sitting on a rock on the right side of the buttstock, shortened the butt and installed a white line recoil pad. While I can appreciate the pad on a .348 (which I'd replace with something more appropriate looking), the cougar is just not a value enhancer.

The asking price is $795, which would be a screaming buy, absent the problems with the buttstock. What are your thoughts on the value as described?

Thanks.

I'd be all over that.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, May 31, 2013, 10:12 (4139 days ago) @ Remington40x

I never see them for less than $1200 and I'd figure a fella could buy a butt stock for less than the $400 difference.

I'd buy... Unless the carving job is gawd awful.

by cas, Friday, May 31, 2013, 10:13 (4139 days ago) @ Remington40x

Then I'd try and wiggle downward.

Wanna tell me where it is? I'll go check it out for you.

by cas, Friday, May 31, 2013, 11:25 (4139 days ago) @ cas

;-) :-D

Wanna tell me where it is? I'll go check it out for you.

by John Meeker @, Friday, May 31, 2013, 12:31 (4139 days ago) @ cas

Send me the buttstock..I'll pack the carving with wood-dough epoxy, fair it out, and color it in.Or, youcan do that, too, Or, put a fancy veneer over the epoxy so it so it has 'splint personality' ;~`). Or splice in a piece of old walnut from a beater stock. The butt-cuff is good idea...Truly, that's a nice raffle-gun. I'd bet a replacement stock or Numrich take-off isn't all that much. There's a guy out in MidWest who makes lots of Marling stocks, too. Your blank, or his.

Just feeling optimistic today, and playing late lunch hooky at the computer, so don't get too cheered up by me. ;~`)

I guess it didn't work.

by cas, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 15:57 (4138 days ago) @ John Meeker

I was looking forward to driving to Pennsylvania this weekend and buying me a rifle. Drats.

poorly carved stocks...I have seen a pile of em...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, May 31, 2013, 10:27 (4139 days ago) @ Remington40x
edited by Rob Leahy, Friday, May 31, 2013, 10:31

mostly farther north, where long winters in isolation and alcohol fuel this form of "artistry." A Cartridge cuff should cover the carving, if you can't find a new stock.
Rob

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Price Check on a Winchester Model 71

by cubrock, Friday, May 31, 2013, 10:41 (4139 days ago) @ Remington40x

I'd buy it as a shooter and keep my eyes peeled for replacement wood. The Lyman sight may be factory. They were a factory option.

Here you go...

by Paul ⌂, Friday, May 31, 2013, 15:19 (4139 days ago) @ Remington40x

Oh, NO! that is some nice wood. I love the Ballard pistol

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, May 31, 2013, 15:49 (4139 days ago) @ Paul

grip on old Marlins... I have a 1949 vintage 336 24" half mag 30-30 that would look fantastic http://www.treebonecarving.com/id9.html

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Oh yeah. He has some nice wood. I have 6-8 sets for

by John K., Friday, May 31, 2013, 19:55 (4138 days ago) @ Paul

some of my innumerable projects. Martinis, rolling blocks, etc.

Nice fella - Jimmy, Doug, Travis and I called ahead and visited his shop. Quite a lot of his blanks are OLD. His dad was a stockmaker also and some of the patterns he has on hand look pre-war.

by bob, Treebone did the wood, Friday, May 31, 2013, 20:11 (4138 days ago) @ John K.

for my 303-30AI Model 99. I can vouch for their work!

by Otony, Friday, May 31, 2013, 22:35 (4138 days ago) @ John K.

I knew his dad back in the mid 1970s, lost track of him about 10 years later.

The son has relatives hereabouts, and sells at gunshots in this area upon occasion. He was shocked when I told him I had been to his dad's place in California more than once. Small world.....

Otony

It is a small world... I think I remember he said

by John K., Sunday, June 02, 2013, 13:36 (4137 days ago) @ Otony

the business originated in California and that his Dad gathered up a lot of figured walnut from that area.

I recall he had a nice sporter pattern for an '03 Springfield that keeps calling my name...

RSS Feed of thread