Modify 358439?

by anachronism, Monday, May 27, 2013, 10:58 (4143 days ago)

I have a later Ideal marked 358439 (hollowpoint) Keith mold in very good condition. Mine has the rounded grease groove and the reduced diameter (.355) front driving band. I'm thinking about sending it out to have the front driving band opened to match the rear two (.358+), but keep chickening out due to the relative scarcity (& high replacement cost) of original hollowpoint molds anymore. I know Erik would do an excellent job on it, but still I struggle over modifying it. What's your opinion? Keep it original, or go ahead and modify it?

save it as is, buy another

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, May 27, 2013, 13:30 (4143 days ago) @ anachronism

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

How does it shoot for you?

by Glen, Monday, May 27, 2013, 16:40 (4143 days ago) @ anachronism

If they shoot well, leave it alone. If it doesn't shoot well, send it to Erik. He will do a fine job and you will never regret having GOOD bullets to shoot.

It shoots rather poorly in my guns.

by anachronism, Monday, May 27, 2013, 19:55 (4142 days ago) @ Glen

However, it's in 90%+ condition. A small amount of very light surface pitting on the exterior, no visible flaws on the exterior, and the edges of the cavity are almost sharp enough to shave with. No peening at the alignment pins at all either.

Agree with Rob. Don't modify it

by cubrock, Monday, May 27, 2013, 18:24 (4143 days ago) @ anachronism

They are too rare to mess with. Just my 2 cents.

Eric has done quite a few of mine - seems undersize

by John K., Monday, May 27, 2013, 18:33 (4143 days ago) @ anachronism

front bands are common. He does excellent work.

Tho I admit I squirmed quite a bit when he opened up two four cavity 421429s for me, so I know what you're thinking. But if it isn't working for ya... it's just a paperweight.

Modify 358439?

by jgt, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 09:27 (4142 days ago) @ anachronism

Do you shoot any Marlin 1894's in 357? Might be just the ticket for the throat of one of them. Try some in a Marlin before you do anything. You may have a diamond in the ruff.

The verdict....

by anachronism, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 19:06 (4142 days ago) @ anachronism
edited by anachronism, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 21:47

The mold will remain original, at least as long as I own it. It now goes into storage. Although it's not really that rare, it has survived a long time now, and probably should be conserved. I'll find myself a suitable 2 cavity Keith mold and have Erik do a conversion on it instead. Since I really, really want an original Keith 173 grain mold, I'll keep hunting for one, and not try to make my 358439 something it isn't. Besides, I could always find an early Colt .357 gun and use this mold in it. My understanding is that Lyman changed the front driving ban to allow bullets cast with their molds to chamber in Colts, which often had rather tight throats. Honestly, it probably won't be used again at all.

Thanks for helping me sort this out.
Bob

RSS Feed of thread