300 BLK

by Flatlander, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 18:14 (4144 days ago)

I've been shooting a Noveske in 300 Blackout.

[image]
Untitled by Flatland45, on Flickr

110 gr Hornady VMax over 19 grains H110. 100 yards, took out a hunk of his spine.

This is mostly in the nature of a photo test.

300 BLK

by Gary G, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 18:46 (4144 days ago) @ Flatlander

Mark How much game have you taken with the Blackout Round? Curious how it does on pigs and deer and what you consider as max, distant to be on those game animals?

300 BLK

by Flatlander, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 18:56 (4144 days ago) @ Gary G

This is it so far. Though I consider it to be very similar to 30-30.

Keep us updated

by mcassill, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 19:22 (4144 days ago) @ Flatlander

I'm building a Blackout for Henry's use, as soon as the last couple parts arrive. I figure that whatever the AR's limitations as a battle weapon, with light weight and adjustable stock it will make a dandy boy's rifle. I have some Barnes black tip and Speer TNT to play with once I get the thing put together, to see what it likes.
Mark

Deer and pigs.

by cas, Monday, May 27, 2013, 10:41 (4143 days ago) @ mcassill

While I've had plenty of them, I never did connect with one. Only had one shot on game with it, hit a nice little tree branch about half way to the deer which sent the bullet off into who knows where.

My brother in law took a couple deer and a russian boar with his (the only 300 barrel I own now, his 10" SSK barrel).

I believe the first deer was with a Sierra 130gr SSPB (single shot pistol bullet) though it worked and the deer went right down, we weren't thrilled with the expansion at such close range, about 30 feet. The other note on this deer was once it was down and kicking he hit it in the middle of the sternum (so basically shot from "underneath" anatomically) with a 220 grain Sierra Match King. The bullet went in caliber size, turned and made 2" wide wound through the heart as it tumbled.

Second deer was shot with a 125 ge Noslar ballistic tip. Bullet wasn't recovered but it drop at the shot about 35-40 yards away.

The boar was 200-250lb? 50-60 yards away with 150gr Noslar ballistic tip. When hit it rolled right over and was done.

(I then shot one with my 500 Linebaugh. 465 gr SWC @ 1350, right through the boiler room and it ran away like I'd missed. I guess he hadn't read all the magazines. ;) )

300 BLK

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 21:16 (4143 days ago) @ Flatlander

I have t tried any 110's yet. I have a couple hundred 125 TNT's loaded up and just got 500 more Sierra 125 game kings. I haven't used them on game yet, but should work fine on varmints. I also load a 220gr cast subsonic. Those are great fun through the suppressor both in the AR and my rebarreled Savage bolt action.

I have a new lower to build up as a pistol. I'm going to have my barrel cut and threaded to 8" or so and put in paperwork to turn it into an SBR.

300 BLK has interested me for obvious reasons e.g.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 21:24 (4143 days ago) @ Flatlander

AR platform, .223/5.56 base brass, same mags as 5.56mm, .30 cal but gotta face one fact. It isn't quite as much cartridge as the .30 Herrett with light bullets. HOWEVER, because of the twist rate it can use those heavy bullets like the 220 gr boattails.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

This is why I like it.

by Flatlander, Monday, May 27, 2013, 09:40 (4143 days ago) @ Hobie

1. Light recoil.
2. Same bolt as 5.56.
3. 110 gr bullet and 19 grains H110. I have a whole bunch of formed, sized brass. With my RCBS Universal hand primer, Lee hand press, and a really cool Lil Dandy powder measure that I ground the rotor to throw exactly 19 gr H110 ... we load away at the kitchen table.
4. In excess of 45,000 SRP on hand.
5. Accurate.
6. Ergonomics good for my son to shoot ... easy to bipod, easy to change optic from red dot to scope.
7. Feeds very reliably, particularly with GI mags (shorter bullets are problematic with PMags).
8. Should perform in the same class as the 30-30; bullets are lighter but well constructed and moving out there a little faster. From what I've seen so far, the bullets will expand just fine.
9. Being able to suppress it is interesting, but a ways down the road.

I will caution that a 223 upper will chamber a 300BLK. We keep our 300BLK stuff separated. I keep the 300 rifle broken down in a takedown case.

That is why it interests me so. Much more so than any

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, May 27, 2013, 17:32 (4143 days ago) @ Flatlander

other for the AR-15 platform.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I shot one today too.

by cas, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 23:42 (4143 days ago) @ Flatlander

10" Contenter. Been shooting it about 15 years now. ;-)

I shot one today too.

by lee jurras @, hagerman,NM, Monday, May 27, 2013, 07:40 (4143 days ago) @ cas

Whats so different from J.D.'s 300 Wisper ???

I shot one today too.

by Who....me...??, Monday, May 27, 2013, 07:58 (4143 days ago) @ lee jurras

NOT A THING, LEE !!! It is a blatant ripoff of J.D.'s design by folks too lazy and ignorent to come up with something better.

I shot one today too.

by lee jurras @, hagerman,NM, Monday, May 27, 2013, 12:28 (4143 days ago) @ Who....me...??

That's kinds what I thought, around these parts its hotter than sliced bread. I ask them the same question and they give me a blank stare most are too young to remember when JD brought this out. :-P

Strikes me as funny in a way - my old fashioned 357 carbine

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 06:16 (4142 days ago) @ lee jurras

Probably falls in the same ballpark. The 357 cartridge in a 20 in barrel is nothing to sneeze at.

Nothing?

by cas, Monday, May 27, 2013, 08:04 (4143 days ago) @ lee jurras

That's what I was shooting. AFAIK the throat on the Blackout is longer, and the neck MIGHT be a fraction larger (though I'm not 100% sure on that) I've owned maybe 6-7-8? things chambered for it, by almost as many builders (300 whisper, 300/221, 300 Fireball) and not a one of them was throated the same.

THAT is what the AAC people are claiming, that that was the problem and that they standardized the industry. :-|
My comment to them was, that's what the guy before them thought too until you came along. And that's what the next guy can say as well.

SAAMI, marketing and the "black rifle crowd" have made it a success, at least for now. But the misconception of many is quite amazing. It's funny to read what some people expect from the round, thinking it's somehow a .308Win or better class cartridge, or built for long range.

My understanding is that it is a SAAMI compliant

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, May 27, 2013, 09:04 (4143 days ago) @ cas

version of the Whisper but starting from .223 Rem brass with the necessary dimensional differences to allow for that.

Now, it is a "rip-off" in the same way that the .375 JDJ is a "rip-off" of Ken Waters' .375 Express.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

My understanding is that it is a SAAMI compliant

by lee jurras @, hagerman,NM, Monday, May 27, 2013, 12:36 (4143 days ago) @ Hobie

I think the 375 Jurras was before both of them in my Howdah series.:-D

!!!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, May 27, 2013, 23:14 (4142 days ago) @ lee jurras

:-D ;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Ah, yes! I'm glad you still have your memory, or maybe

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 14:08 (4142 days ago) @ lee jurras

you found mine along the road somewhere. I didn't even think of it, sorry to say.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

One day, I will find the time to really work with mine.

by John K., Monday, May 27, 2013, 18:50 (4143 days ago) @ Flatlander

It is a neat cartridge. Case forming is exceedingly simple (powered case trimmer on a Dillon 1050) forms, sizes and trims in one pass - from 5.56/223 brass. Was using the 130gr SOST until my source dried up. That was a neat bullet. Hope you can get a hog with the 110gr Barnes and report back... that one cycles and shoots really well in my gun.

The only hitch to me is the ribs in the standard AR magazine. They can be removed, but hopefully someone will make a dedicated 300BLK mag eventually. That will clear up feeding issues with a LOT of appropriate bullets.

One day, will have an SBR and take-apart can to shoot cast subsonics.

I LIKE IT!

Case forming simpler...

by cas, Monday, May 27, 2013, 22:59 (4142 days ago) @ John K.

I neck 221 Fireball to .270, then to .30 :D

I would like to get some factory 300Blk brass and see how it works neck wise in my 300W.

I had an AR upper once… almost twice. lol I found it rather boring to shoot, expensive compared to .223, so I sold it fairly quickly.
Next upper was a .50 Beowulf so so much for "expensive compared to…"

I think they'd make a heck of a weapon though.

Case forming simpler...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 03:56 (4142 days ago) @ cas

I have some factory brass here that I picked up at a shoot. I don't seep rate it from my cut down .223 brass, but you can feel the difference when loading it. If you'd like a few to check out, let me know. They have been fired at least once, possibly more, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the offer

by cas, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 07:38 (4142 days ago) @ Slow Hand

...but I'll find some on the ground eventually. :-D

I have enough brass on hand now that I won't "need" it any time soon, other than to satisfy my curiosity.

Cas, I have somewhere north of 20,000 rounds of 5.56

by John K., Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 07:59 (4142 days ago) @ cas

brass and 60 rounds of 221 - "quantity has a quality all its own". Milsurp 5.56 brass is pretty cheap. Besides, with the RT1200 Dillon case trimmer attached to the 300BLK form/size die it is a one pass operation.

Cas, I have somewhere north of 20,000 rounds of 5.56

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 16:10 (4142 days ago) @ John K.

John , when your dillon trimer burns up you got to check out the GTC trimer, it`s a bit $ but works alot better and faster. :-D don`t ask how I know.

Those Girauds are NICE! A couple of times I tried to buy

by John K., Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 16:25 (4142 days ago) @ Fivegunner

one he couldn't give me a delivery estimate, so I put it off.

You are right, the Dillon trimmer is not designed to hog off that much material - it gets hot and burns up. Matter of fact, due to heat, it is a bit marginal even for regular trimming. A friend of mine owns a small ammo manufacturing concern and went through a dozen of them in short order. He ended up installing two of the trimmers and taking a half-bite with each one. Then we piped clean instrument air into both motors to keep the temp down. That worked pretty good, but he has since gone to a custom rig using a different (larger HP) motor and hasn't experienced any further problems.

I have air & vacuum on mine and I try to keep the cycle speed reasonable. For now.

RSS Feed of thread