Ruger LCR 38 Special For The Elderly?

by ~JM~, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 19:25 (4147 days ago)

Can anyone provide me with some feedback on the Ruger LCR? I've read the Gunblast article but have yet to handle one. I'm interested in a self defense weapon for my Grandfather. He has a a bit of arthritis in his hands & I don't know if he can squeeze a DAO revolver trigger. I'm fairly certain that he can no longer rack the slide on an auto loader. I'm also juggling the thoughts of 38 Special vs 22 Magnum? He used to shoot a 38 Special & I think his fingers might be able to handle manipulating the ammunition better than the smaller sized 22 bullets. I plan on installing an XS site big dot plus the CT laser site. I can't really think of a better option at this time. I'm looking forward to any feedback that you all may have. Anyone have a good deal on one?

Thank you
~JM~

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 19:46 (4146 days ago) @ ~JM~
edited by RidinLou, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 23:19

Just an opinion and take as such.

No double action revolver unless you can test his ability first.

It is NOT just the ability to pull the trigger, but the hand strength to control where the muzzle is pointed as he is pulling the trigger. One of the barrel insert lasers would be handy for this.

Ever thought of looking into one of the tip up loading autos?

If I owned any guns and I don't cause they are scary,

I would likely carry a model 36 with afermarket grips and plain ol wadcutters with a zip strip or two with 5 more rounds each.

Ruger LCR 38 Special For The Elderly? BERETTA 86

by cable, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 20:05 (4146 days ago) @ ~JM~

.380 with tip up barrel; no racking of slide. mine is very reliable,and the trigger is easy. can be carried cocked and locked, with hammer back or carried safely hammer done with double action trigger pull that is quite manageable. i have found that the inexperienced of any age or older folks, arthritic folks, and some kids really take to this firearm. sorta hard to find but they are around.

pictures and description here:

http://www.berettaweb.com/Beretta%2080/Beretta%2086.htm

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=beretta+86&FORM=HDRSC2

They are pricey but have you thought of a Beretta 84 380?

by stonewalrus, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 20:07 (4146 days ago) @ ~JM~

Large for a 380 but they have a tip up barrel.

i believe it is the only beretta 86 with the tip up barrel

by cable, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 21:17 (4146 days ago) @ stonewalrus

least that is what mine is

:-)

You may be right on the number I wasn't sure

by stonewalrus, Friday, May 24, 2013, 13:04 (4146 days ago) @ cable

Nm

The Ruger LCR is probably a good choice

by FOG, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 20:46 (4146 days ago) @ ~JM~

And I would agree that .38 Special ammunition is easier to handle than .22 rimfire. In the low-recoil department, there's still the old standby: .38 wadcutters (factory/match), so that base remains well covered.

Others mention the tip-up .380s, but I happen to have limited hand strength myself, and I would rather be consigned to practicing DA-Dryfire-In-Hades than have to load most .380 magazines even once. FWIW, I think people *read* a lot of magazines, but to their good fortune, they never actually experience these things.

I also think everything else (gun included, for that matter) would probably have to be tried by the individual in order to determine whether it would work for him. For example, I have fairly large hands, so the smaller CT Laser Grips for S&W J-frames don't fit me at all because there is nowhere near enough room behind the trigger guard. Sights are similarly 'personal' in terms of choice: I happen to like the XS Big Dot, but many do not.

Long story short: Take the man to the gun shop (and, if possible, the range), and go from there.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

by anachronism, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 22:06 (4146 days ago) @ ~JM~

My LCR 22LR has a really heavy trigger pull. It's off the charts for my RCBS trigger pull scale. I drowned it in synthetic motor oil, and it did help, but I hesitate recommending one to someone with an impaired grip. I like the Beretta idea, or perhaps you could find a clean 2 inch S&W Model 10. They slick up so nice...

by Catoosa, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 23:11 (4146 days ago) @ anachronism

If I was to call her elderly I'd get smacked upside the head, but my wife really has taken a liking to one of my S&W Model 36s with the old square butt frame and a Tyler adaptor. Due to an injury years ago, she has limited use of the index and middle fingers on her right hand, but she has no trouble handling the gun with moderate loads. She does prefer shooting single action, and I have taught her to cock the hammer with her support-hand thumb while maintaining a solid grip on the gun with her right hand.

IMHO, weak hands and DA-only handguns don't go well together.

by anachronism, Friday, May 24, 2013, 18:53 (4146 days ago) @ Catoosa

Well phrased Sir. I see plenty of people who have a lot of difficulty managing the trigger of a DA revolver. As usual, I get a lot of remarks like "revolvers aren't accurate enough, so I bought a Glock". Since they can't manage a trigger, they think nobody can do it. Then it's my turn to shoot...

My standard answer to most of their followup comments is usually "buy yourself 8 lbs of Bullseye. and about a half ton of lead for casting wadcutters. Practice until it's all gone, then call me and we'll go shooting. :-D

by ~JM~, Friday, May 24, 2013, 07:51 (4146 days ago) @ ~JM~

The reason I was thinking of the LCR was due to its new-fangled internals & cam action DAO pull. I read an article that claimed a 5# DAO pull weight for the 38 Special model. I have also read that the rimfire models have a harder pull to reliably ignite the primer in the rim.

I really think the auto loader of most any kind will be too difficult to manipulate the various levers, or to load a magazine.

The weapon needs to be a size that will fit in a front pocket with a proper pocket holster. Grandpa is 92 & doesn't wear a belt anymore due to sore hips. There are little great grandchildren that often run around & get into things, so I'm thinking that front pocket carry is going to be the safest option for all involved.

Unfortunately I cannot take him to a gun shop or a range to try a few out. He lives in California & all the shops have pretty much closed their doors in his area. Plus... He doesn't leave his property to go into town much anymore.

Thank you
~JM~

Given those options and limitations, I'd say get the LCR

by FOG, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 15:09 (4144 days ago) @ ~JM~

I would also forego any additions or modifications, except ammunition.

For that, I would probably get a box or two of wadcutters and call it 'good'.

Literally.

I really don't think a better solution exists.

You can even get the XS 'Small' Dot (regular 1/8" width) on at least one variation of the LCR. (Or you could at one time; I'm not exactly sure about all the details of the current LCR lineup.)

Suffice to say, the LCR is widely available, even in Kalifornia, where it would probably be best to have the gun 'registered' in the actual owner's name.

In other words, I would suggest giving very serious thought to the matter of the 'paperwork'. It might not be convenient for your Grandfather, but I frankly think that is a relatively minor consideration in view of the possible consequences of any alternative approach.

I certainly wouldn't call it a 'straw purchase', but I wouldn't want to take the chance, either; you never know what 'they' might think, and I'd rather not find out firsthand.

HTH :-)

--
[image]

The triggers are smooth and light for a DAO. (nm)

by Boge Quinn, Friday, May 24, 2013, 09:35 (4146 days ago) @ ~JM~

That is true. People who try all the models we have

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, May 24, 2013, 13:11 (4146 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

prefer the Ruger LCR trigger pull. I'd also recommend that you get one that comes with the CT laser, big price savings.

However, I've had people who really couldn't handle any firearm safely because they either can't grip, squeeze or bend their fingers around a grip due to arthritis. They could use pepper spray (depending on the container/make).

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

consider a pair of pistols, so racking slides reloading etc

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, May 24, 2013, 10:40 (4146 days ago) @ ~JM~

is not an issue. I gave my step mom a M15 and a M66 both loaded with soft lead swchps she can handle them both and now has a matching Rossi 452 (same 6 round speed loaders) for 18 rounds, before she has to worry about a reload in the house. Another older gal we know has a PMR 30. she can rack the slide but won't have to with 30 rounds on tap.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Check Bruce Eimer's articles at this link

by DeeBee @, Friday, May 24, 2013, 19:23 (4146 days ago) @ ~JM~

He has probably published more articles on this (and similar) topic than any other recent author. The archive is at the bottom...

http://www.personaldefensesolutions.net/articles.htm

by stonewalrus, Friday, May 24, 2013, 22:18 (4145 days ago) @ ~JM~

The Beretta 380 is too big fir a pocket holster. They do make a 32 (which I hear is nasty to shoot) and a 2t. Taurus majes a 25 and 22 tipup. Not the greatest options but maybe better than nothing.

I have one, it ain't bad ...

by Flatlander, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 18:08 (4144 days ago) @ ~JM~

My wife picked it out of a lineup of DA revolvers. The cushioned grip is the best thing I can say about it, particularly at the web of the hand. That said, I never shoot it, and she is shooting other guns much better.

One more thing

by FOG, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 03:15 (4142 days ago) @ ~JM~

..."Anyone have a good deal on one?"...

Someone once observed that *this* was the 'real deal' in most inquiries of this type.

All things considered, I have to admit one sometimes wonders...

The rest, I mainly wonder why I bother. :-|

--
[image]

Well I Checked Out One LCR in 357....

by ~JM~, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 09:05 (4142 days ago) @ FOG

...and to be honest... I was not that impressed. Maybe I happened across a very rough example. The cylinder release button required more pressure than I thought was appropriate. I tried the DA pull & it was smooth, but it exceeded the scale on my trigger pull gauge. My gauge only goes up to 8 lbs.

I then tried out a Taurus lightweight & it was much better than the Ruger in every way. I happen to have owned a couple of S&W J-Frames over the years & one Taurus lightweight. I have always been able to shoot the Taurus much better than my S&W. I can see the sites on the Taurus much better.

There is another Gun Shop nearby that has a few LCR's that I plan to go & compare sometime this week. Meanwhile the search continues.

Thank you everyone for your very informative replies.
~JM~

RSS Feed of thread