This guy needs to learn to have some fun with his GB ads...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 06:16 (4149 days ago)

by SIXGUNNER, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 07:17 (4149 days ago) @ Hoot

WHAT IS A "GERBLE"?

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 07:47 (4149 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

WHAT IS A "GERBLE"?

It's a symptom of a culture that does not read nor value properly spelled language. He meant gerbil, I'm sure. He should have paid attention when gerble came up underlined in red by his spell check, although the suggestions for proper spelling (in mine, anyway) are a far cry from the proper one. :-D

There's a possibility . . .

by Kentucky, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 08:32 (4149 days ago) @ Paul
edited by Kentucky, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 08:35

. . . that spell check doesn't run on Gunbroker. I don't know that for a fact, but it's not an uncommon situation.

That said, I appreciate his humor.

Just for fun . . .

Eye have a spelling chequer,
It came with my Pea Sea.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss Steaks I can knot sea.

Eye strike the quays and type a whirred
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am write oar wrong
It tells me straight a weigh.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your shore real glad two no.
Its vary polished in its weigh.
My chequer tolled me sew.

A chequer is a bless thing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right all stiles of righting,
And aides me when eye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The chequer pours o'er every word
Two cheque sum spelling rule

-- Jerrold Zar

Cute poem...

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:03 (4149 days ago) @ Kentucky

someone put a lot of thought into it! :) AND it goes to show that a spelling checker is only as good as the knowledge of the person who uses it.

I don't recall who said it, but it's true nonetheless, "The man who won't read has no advantage over the man who can't." Reading and thinking are important, yet our culture no longer values such activities. There's a shocking lack of interest in the correct use of the language, and the current trend is downwards. Modern technology has given rise to a generation which can text rapidly yet is incapable of transmitting deep, coherent thoughts since everything is reduced to the lowest common denominator - whatever can be abbreviated (why is that word so long?) into simple acronyms.

I do my best to NOT be a "grammar nazi" but language is meant to convey thought and to do so it must be properly used. This includes spelling (my high school "Language Arts" teacher signed my yearbook "I like the way you write, now if you could SPELL!" as well as proper differentiating between homophones. "Bear arms" is not the same as "Bare arms" nor even "bear arms" (as in the designation some give to a bear's forelimbs). Their, there and they're are as misused as your and you're and the list goes on. This, in my not so humble opinion, is a direct result of people placing more value on nonessentials rather than on solid basic education.

:soapbox:

And to think, all this cyber ink spilled over the misspelling of 'gerbil'.

:beatdeadhorse:

I really SHOULD get back to doing something productive today. :-D

Don't forget, every time someone makes a typo -

by John K., Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 11:05 (4149 days ago) @ Paul

the errorists win.

One of the downsides to the net, to me, is that my own grammer and spelling has suffered from reading and seeing all the multitudinous ways of well.., shall we say in the spirit of things... "that ain't right". Then I catch myself defaulting to the more common errors. Luckily, reading proper books reinforces proper spelling and grammer.

Their.
There.
They're not the same.

Of course we could discuss you're and your until the cows come home. I suspect we would have better luck teaching pigs to sing.

Don't forget, every time someone makes a typo -

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 11:16 (4149 days ago) @ John K.

I believe that we could sum this up as...

:beatdeadhorse:

:-D

If you can't beat 'em, beat 'em! Since they're expectin' you to join 'em, you can take 'em off guard!

Proper punctuation remains my greatest challenge/weakness. Does it make a difference? Yes, it does. When the principal chided a teacher for not teaching proper punctuation, the teacher replied with a Hillary Clintonesque "What difference does it make?" The principal simply stepped to the board and wrote:

The teacher says the principal is stupid

Point well made. (for those not sure what the point is, consider the following examples of punctuating the sentence above).

"The teacher", said the principal, "is stupid."

The teacher said, "The principal is stupid."

Cute poem...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 11:59 (4149 days ago) @ Paul

"I really SHOULD get back to doing something productive today. "

I wood have, butt I've waisted awl my thyme reeding hear.

Lack of typing or spelling & grammer skills does not

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:59 (4149 days ago) @ Paul

indicate that an individual is not well read, or has little skill interest or experience in reading.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

It depends...

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 11:09 (4149 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

There's a lot of difference between typos along with temporary brain glitches and the general lack of coherence that appears to be prevalent in our society. Many of us (myself included) tend to get in a hurry and allow grammatical errors, typos and such to creep into our written communications. There is, however, a huge incidence of flat out misuse of the language in our "modern" culture.

Words mean things. It behooves us to use them properly.

Comprehension of a subject is important...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 12:28 (4149 days ago) @ Paul

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Most likely what it means is that...

by pokynojoe, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 12:54 (4149 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

The individual wasn't taught these skills by ruler wielding nuns back in the 50's and 60's, unlike some of us.:-D

Most likely what it means is that...

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 13:11 (4149 days ago) @ pokynojoe

A couple whacks of that ruler and you'd be amazed what you can remember! :D

A lot of what is called "ADHD" today is simply a lack of a ruler wielding person in a position of authority...

Amen to that.

by Kentucky, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 13:52 (4149 days ago) @ Paul

Another problem is the use of intentional misspellings and non-standard abbreviations in the execution of "texting" communications. This habit carries over into more formal writing and blurs the importance of "the proper ways of doin' stuff".

I'll overlook the occasional misspelling of a word or two, or the occasional grammatical slip-up, but when it's rampant throughout a person's writing I cannot help but wonder at their education.

Me to!

by Caz, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 15:33 (4149 days ago) @ Kentucky

Hoo boy!

To where?

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 16:14 (4149 days ago) @ Caz

To where?

by Caz, Were not sure yet., Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 18:13 (4149 days ago) @ Paul

Hoo boy!

RSS Feed of thread