Tactical rifle market?

by DeeBee @, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 08:55 (4158 days ago)

I'm starting to downsize the number of rifles that gather dust, including an M16 5.56/.223 long gun built around a Krieger barrel/bolt and MILSPEC upper/BCG, MI free float forearm, Colt lower and Geiselle trigger, VLTOR A5 stock, Leupold Vari-X scope in LaRue QD mount. It was fun putting it together, and it shoots great, but now I'd like to reinvest what I have in it and I'm concerned I may have missed the market. Should I just put it back in the case and let the sons figure what to do with it, or can I still expect to do OK giving it to my FFL on consignment?

From what I am seeing around here

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 09:13 (4158 days ago) @ DeeBee

the market has gone flat for AR pattern rifles. I'd wait for the next buying craze to hit.

The guns sell quickly but not for the prices they fetched in

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 10:40 (4158 days ago) @ DeeBee

January and February. I'd wait as well.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

The 'fever' appears to be off. Gunshow today had plenty

by John Meeker @, West End of Lake Erie, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 19:34 (4158 days ago) @ Hobie

of 600-800-1000-1200$ new AR's. There were a few 'walkarounds' with price flags in barrel, but nothing like the Forest of them during the panic, with four-figure tags .

I took my sweet time, as the early morning aisles were pretty open, and visited with old friends. Carried the Rock River Coyote with the Hi-Lux scope, JIC somebody absolutely had to have a "sniper rife". At least that's what the professionally interested police-check-it-ins at the door called it. Mostly drew admiration. Found a couple of under-appreciatted vintage knives for the collection. The older Scando blades have just dried up, since they became known. Kinda miss the 10 & 20 bucks buys on those fine implements.

By noon, the crowds had thickened to 'normal crowded gunshow' status. Not any real bell-ringing handgun buys, new or vintage. Lots of nice upper-end SxS's, with the usual suspects. About 35-40% 'tactical' tables - with some big vendors. Lively trade at the bigger ones [better prices]. The 'good gun collectors' table were well stocked with the world history of guns, worth haggling over. There appears to me that there was more flexibility in the pricing overall, around the show.

There wasn't much that caught my eye in Western guns, but a late Victorian, plain un-embellished 'gunmaker', Lee-Speed pukka-Sahib Sporter was languishing unappreciated for a mere 2500.00. Lovely slim trim svelte Classic, but even with my most hypnotic bargaining powers, it's unlikely I could lower the price into my toy fund range. A few years ago I would have offered to trade him a Glock and The Coyote straight up for it, but alas, common sense appears to have returned to the gunshows.

Happy Hunting.

Tactical rifle market?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, May 13, 2013, 03:52 (4157 days ago) @ DeeBee

Things are still selling here at slightly higher prices, but inventory is picking back up and staying slightly ahead of demand.

A problem you might have with your rifle and the current crop of buyers is that it's not a factory rifle. Your list of parts sounds top not h for the most part and would make any builder proud but to an unknowing buyer they might be afraid of Geri gt he widely reported 'Franken-gun'. It'd be like a non car guy going to a dealership and seeing a stock Mustang GT and a couple year old, modified GT even though the modifications were performed correctly and with the best parts, and he's it does perform better and look cooler, they may shy away due to the unknown.

Now, saying that, if you are wanting to sell it, figure out your price and out it up for sale, either online (in several places) or on consignment. Most places are free to post and if you don't get what it's worth to you, it can stay in the safe. I'll admit, I've put some stuff up for sale before at what I thought were outrageous prices but someone just had to have it!!

RSS Feed of thread